JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
CazzaLouise (Offline)
New to JF

Red face Tokyo Karaoke Bar!! - 05-22-2008, 05:41 AM

My boyfriend & I (from Australia 28 years old & 33 years old) are visiting Tokyo in December & would love to experience a Tokyo Karaoke Bar or Nomihodai with some locals? Would anyone in Tokyo be happy for us to tag along on a night out or any other travelers interested in meeting up? Love to hear from anyone!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-22-2008, 06:01 AM

Man, y'all are gonna love the Japanese karaoke bars! I dunno what they are like in your country but in Japan priavte rooms are the mainstream. You can order food and drinks delivered to your room so karaoke is a very common way of getting together and partying with friends. Plenty of English-language songs, too, at least in Tokyo!

Here's Tommy Lee Jones playing a karaoke bar clerk in a Japanese canned cofee commercial:

(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-22-2008, 06:25 AM

Let's keep in mind that the Karaoke bars (at least the ones in America) don't really exist in Japan. In Japan you go to Karaoke Boxes which are private rooms you share with friends and order tons of food and drinks. But you aren't singing in front of strangers.

The only place I know to sing with strangers would be a snack bar. These tend to be extremely expensive by tourist standards. (Dropping a couple hundred dollars is very common) so you wouldn't only want to go with a trusted friend (especially if he's paying!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
CazzaLouise (Offline)
New to JF

Karaoke - 05-22-2008, 06:39 AM

Yeah, I have seen the japanese karaoke on movies 'Lost in Translation' ect, thats why I thought that it would be no fun with just two people...need a group of people for the room!! I guess if it was the two of you you are not embarrasing yourself in front of as many people!!!