LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
Come to Japan, get free drugs!!!!! - 05-26-2008, 05:15 PM

What an idiot hahahaha!!!!!!!

An unwitting passenger arriving at Japan's Narita airport has received 142g of cannabis after a customs test went awry, officials say.

A customs officer hid a package of the banned substance in a side pocket of a randomly chosen suitcase in order to test airport security.

Sniffer dogs failed to detect the cannabis and the officer could not remember which bag he had put it in.

Anyone finding the package has been asked to contact customs officials.

"This case was extremely regrettable. I would like to deeply apologise," said Narita International Airport's customs head Manpei Tanaka.

Strict laws

The customs officer conducted the test on a passenger's bag against regulations. Normally a training suitcase is used.

"I knew that using passengers' bags is prohibited, but I did it because I wanted to improve the sniffer dog's ability," the officer was quoted as saying.

"The dogs have always been able to find it before... I became overconfident that it would work," he said.

Japan has strict laws against drugs and possession of small amounts of cannabis can lead to a prison sentence.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2008, 05:46 PM

How did the customs officer have it in the first place?

I'm going through Narita in about 2 weeks. I'd hate to come to my host family's house only to find that much weed in my suitcase...

I
沖縄           My blog
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

05-26-2008, 05:50 PM

That is terrible, yet hilarious. How do these people survive?

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
How did the customs officer have it in the first place?

Will be previously-confiscated drugs... they do it all the time to test security in most countries.

I do wonder if the office will be charged with helping to bring illegal drugs into the country though (afterall, they came into Japan from the international side of customs haha!)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu View Post
That is terrible, yet hilarious. How do these people survive?
I don't know... stupid stories out here tend not to affect you as much when you think that a man who once said "Chinese people are born with criminal dna" is the mayor of Tokyo hahaha
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
Will be previously-confiscated drugs... they do it all the time to test security in most countries.
I know that, but don't they do something with the drugs once they're confiscated? You would think an officer would not be able to get their hands on it after they're confiscated.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
I know that, but don't they do something with the drugs once they're confiscated? You would think an officer would not be able to get their hands on it after they're confiscated.
The test packets are usually sealed bags or capsules with a small hole for aeration. They need to keep the dogs trained by rewarding them periodically for "real" finds. So they make these packets and use them for training. It isn`t as if the officers have access to it to do anything they like. Note the fact that they know the exact weight of the packet.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
05-27-2008, 12:41 PM

my experience with Japanese customs is if your American or European they smile and pass you through, or sometimes do a curiosity check of your handbag, if your any other nationality especially middle eastern be prepared for some time invested