JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
manillafairy (Offline)
New to JF

Transport in Okinawa - 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM

I am currently planning a trip to Japan, which involves a 4 night stay in Okinawa. I don't intend to go much out of Naha, but would like to visit the Ocean Expo Park. (I work in aquatics so it's natural...)

I'll be 21 by then, and I have a British Driving Licence, so how easy is it to rent a car? Failing that, does any one have any basic info about buses. I can't find a great deal except which buses go where but no idea about times. I would just like to know how late the buses would be on return to Naha, roughly.

Also, I intend to go to Fuji Rock. Has anyone gone and taken a tent on the plane or is it just as easy to buy a cheap one in Japan!?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-31-2008, 04:36 AM

I checked and it seems you need to obtain an International Driving Permit before leaving your country in order for you to rent a car in Japan.

TOYOTA Rent a Car (English language site)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
05-31-2008, 05:24 PM

Yeah you need an international drivers license, as far as car rental places are concerned okinawa has a ton of them since their train transportation system is lacking compared to mainland Japan, OTS is one that immediately comes to mind, Naha is about the only city anything that resembles rail and its a monorail running to the airport from a few streets, there are buses that travel all over the place but they do stop running around 10 pm. Hope that helps.