JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
OddGoo (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to OddGoo Send a message via MSN to OddGoo
Going to Japan in October, A few questions =) - 07-23-2008, 05:18 PM

As this is my first post, I would also like to introduce myself .

Im 19, Im mexican, and I am a videogame developer (Web Games currently =P)

I have read lots of topics in this forum, I must thank you all for sharing so much info. (Great topic about etiquette, Housetek!)

Now , back to the topic, I will be going for a number of reasons, being one of them the Tokyo Game Show on October 11 and 12, and I have some small matters left unanswered:

1) Have some one attended that event? any info/tips/recommendations?

2) Some info about laundry services? I plan on spending at least 3 weeks and not taking too much luggage.

3)I read that at the arcades, the character customizations went for 100 yen, what about the other games in general?

4)What is the general perception on videogames?/ How is playing with a DS on the street seen? Any "Gamer" meetup spots? (This is because here in Mexico, games are still generally considered childish/dumb)

5)Really strange question =P, Ive been talking to a japanese friend that lives here in Mexico but has gone there, and we are the "adventurer" type, he sometimes slept outdoors, near abandoned temples, in the wild, etc. And I would really love to do that at least once, just walk, explore and enjoy as "untouristly" as it can get, ¿Are there any severe law problems with doing that?

6)About buisness cards, its "stare at it for a moment, look at its both sides, and gently put it on a card case" right? A little more info on establishing some buisness conversation?

7)Any schools that have video game design on their plans?

And last for now , but not least =P

8)Any advice on presenting my portfolio to game development studios for Outsourcing or looking for a job?

Thank you much in advance, just for reading all of this!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
07-27-2008, 01:58 PM

thank you for the kind comments and ill try to answer your questions best as i can.

1) Have some one attended that event? any info/tips/recommendations?
Sorry i have not been to this event

2) Some info about laundry services? I plan on spending at least 3 weeks and not taking too much luggage.
They do have laundromats that are coin operated in some places, if your staying at a hotel u can ask them about it. Some hotels willd o your laundry for you. or if you are in a rental apartment they will provide a shared coin operated washer/dryer

3)I read that at the arcades, the character customizations went for 100 yen, what about the other games in general?
I dont really understand what your saying.
games will go from 50 to 100 yen depending on what arcade you are at.
Enable to get character customization for a game "mostly fighting games" you buy a plastic memory card in a vending machine at the arcade which goes any where from 300 to 500 Yen and you can use that to load your characters.

Example Tekken 5, you have a memory card, win a few fights, use the points from playing to buy your character a new outfit.

Also they are games which dispense cards such as "Quest of D" and some of the tactical games, which u place on a card reading table or a card holder slot. Those games are usualy 200 Yen per play 100 per continue and dispense one new card every time you play.

again i dont fully understand the question so if you can elaborate i can answer better

4)What is the general perception on videogames?/ How is playing with a DS on the street seen? Any "Gamer" meetup spots? (This is because here in Mexico, games are still generally considered childish/dumb)
gaming is Huuuge in Japan, you'll see adults playing ds on the trains a lot, just be polite and TURN THE VOLUME DOWN or wear head phones. Very use to use noisy electronics such as pdas, phones, and video games in a bus or train. You'll see that a lot of the gamers meet up in Arcades, even to play ds.
When people Que up for games youll catch them playing ds and then closeing it when its their turn.

where i've seen alot of gamers meet up is the Sega arcade building in Akihabara, its 2 blocks or so away from the JR line just go to the main road and take a right you'll see it.... now that i think about it, it might be the Taito building, i forget either way its a 7 story arcade

5)Really strange question =P, Ive been talking to a japanese friend that lives here in Mexico but has gone there, and we are the "adventurer" type, he sometimes slept outdoors, near abandoned temples, in the wild, etc. And I would really love to do that at least once, just walk, explore and enjoy as "untouristly" as it can get, ¿Are there any severe law problems with doing that?

ummm... i've gotten drunk and passed out in parks and random places...
i havent ever gotten bothered for doing so. BUT i HAVE seen police wake people up from parks and tell them to get moving.

japans pretty safe so u dont really have to worry too much, and the police wont do any thing but tell you to move.

6)About buisness cards, its "stare at it for a moment, look at its both sides, and gently put it on a card case" right? A little more info on establishing some buisness conversation?

Correct, make sure you put some time into reading and looking at the card. IT IS A BIG DEAL. it isnt so much in America but in asian countries it is.

Things to say, what you do, how is the company,who are some of their competitors, etc etc.

Things not to talk about: Money, salary, personal things, information that would generally not be for the public.

7)Any schools that have video game design on their plans?

I am not very familiar with the tech schools in japan, but i know my friend Ryota graduated from a tech school. sorry i cant help ya there

8)Any advice on presenting my portfolio to game development studios for Outsourcing or looking for a job?

Have multi medias. To break language barriers, make it very visual and easy to understand. Make it organize and be sure to state what position you want and your experience.

treat this like any other interview but go in knowing that jobs are rarely given to Foreigners over Japanese people.

and not b/c of racism or any thing like that.

Its that they are very little jobs in japan and too many people.

So you'll find it rare that they would outsource jobs.

Also to make companies run more efficiently, its just wise to have workers who speak the language fluently.

hope that helps, feel free to msg me again any time

-htk

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
OddGoo (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to OddGoo Send a message via MSN to OddGoo
07-28-2008, 12:42 AM

Thank you very much!

Your answers gave me more info than expected!

Thanks again!