(#13 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bou4ever View Post
thank you all for the sarcastic replys i respect them
How are they sarcastic? You really do need your passport and plane tickets if you'd like to go. Why don't you be a little more specific in your question if you're not liking the answers people are giving you.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-05-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bou4ever View Post
thank you all for the sarcastic replys i respect them
I wasn't being sarcastic at all. You do need an open mind and a sense of adventure since you'll be embracing a whole new culture. You have to be open minded to things that's not done in a way that you would particularly do things. You have to have a sense of adventure, as this will be an exotic trip, as it's to a place that may be different from the culture you grew up in.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic at all. You do need an open mind and a sense of adventure since you'll be embracing a whole new culture. You have to be open minded to things that's not done in a way that you would particularly do things. You have to have a sense of adventure, as this will be an exotic trip, as it's to a place that may be different from the culture you grew up in.
I think his reply was directed to the people who said plane tickets, passport, and money.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

08-05-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
I think his reply was directed to the people who said plane tickets, passport, and money.
And freshly laundered undergarments. That's good advice in any situation.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

08-07-2008, 11:19 AM

You need to make sure you have a way to access your money. If you're planning on using credit or debit/checking cards, not all foreign-issue cards will work in all places. Post offices will generally allow foreign check/credit cards at their ATM though, so always keep that in mind. Japan is largely a cash society - using a card for many purchases is not overly common (though many people do seem to use their Suica card and the like for purchases in many convenience stores).

Do not worry too much about carrying fairly large sums of money. It's perfectly normal to be carrying ¥20,000 - ¥50,000 at a time.

Coins will build up if you don't use them frequently. Coin denominations are as follows: 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500. Bills: 1,000, 2,000(rare), 5,000, 10,000.

I also recommend either exchanging currencies in some amount before you disembark from home, or have some USD or the like to exchange at the counter after you land. You will need cash as soon as you get there, likely even before you get somewhere that you can withdraw it. Manage your money carefully.

Next, make sure you are at least somewhat familiar with the rail system, and plan especially how you are going to get from the airport to where you're staying, and back. Review maps of your area and see how the rail lines connect with major lines, or if you're at a station on a major line. Also make note of nearby post offices, and any other place you may need to be aware of beforehand.

Aside from these two obvious points, you need to be a little less vague and give us some information regarding your itinerary and plans if you want help -- as well as an idea of what you need to know.

-Nao
(#18 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2008, 02:29 AM

The Lonely Planet guide to Japan

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nao View Post
I also recommend either exchanging currencies in some amount before you disembark from home, or have some USD or the like to exchange at the counter after you land. You will need cash as soon as you get there, likely even before you get somewhere that you can withdraw it. Manage your money carefully.
That raises another issue. The exchange rates at bank money change facilities in Japan are ruinous. The last time I arrived at Narita I had a small amount of foreign cash on me and went to the currency exchange counter -- but when I saw the TEN PERCENT MARGIN they were charging I took back my foreign dough and told the manager to shove it up his a$$.

Bring an ATM card, anything with Cirrus or Plus will do, or change USD into JPY before you get to Japan.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Magen (Offline)
New to JF

08-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
The Lonely Planet guide to Japan
This is true...but if your doing Tokyo, Lonely Planet's Tokyo Encounter has all sorts of good information. And if your really into toys like I am, Super7's book Tokyo Underground is a good one too.

Take hand sanitizer and your own tissue, for those instances that soap and toilet paper are not provided in restrooms.