JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JEX (Offline)
New to JF

Advice for family skiing holiday to Japan - 08-04-2008, 05:27 AM

Dear All,

We have 2 families wishing to travel to Japan for skiing holiday in December/january 08/09. We would like some advice for good value and the best spot for us all to take in some Japanese culture. Children speak some Japanese but otherwise we are beginners. Which mountains will give us best value and keep kids occupied.??? hope you can help or direct us to best options. thanks Jex.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-04-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEX View Post
Dear All,

We have 2 families wishing to travel to Japan for skiing holiday in December/january 08/09. We would like some advice for good value and the best spot for us all to take in some Japanese culture. Children speak some Japanese but otherwise we are beginners. Which mountains will give us best value and keep kids occupied.??? hope you can help or direct us to best options. thanks Jex.
Where are you coming from? Nagano is famous for its slopes, but I have never heard of foreigners going to Japan for a ski trip.

Japanese ski resorts - skiing and snowboarding in Japan - winter sports in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JEX (Offline)
New to JF

Ski Japan - 08-04-2008, 08:04 AM

HI me again,

We are coming from Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. wISHING TO ski in Japan with children. Hope you can help with any relevant info to make our trip better.

JEX
(#4 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

08-05-2008, 05:08 AM

Hi Jex,

Well there is some great snow in Japan - depends on what you want to do. If you fancy taking in Tokyo as well then I would say try Niigate or Nagano - my favorite is Nagano. If you don't mind where you are in Japan then you could try Hokkaido - the powder snow is supposed to be the best here.

I've added a great link below for you - they have up to date info. Hope it helps

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php

Check my Website: TokyoTopia

Last edited by uktokyoite : 08-05-2008 at 05:10 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

08-13-2008, 02:42 AM

I'd like to recommend the Tomamu Resort in central Hokkaido. But if you prefer to go where all the Aussies go, then it's the Niseko Resort, also in Hokkaido.

I say Tomamu because it will certainly keep your kids occupied. Besides the excellent podwer snow, it has by far the largest indoor swimming pool with waves that I've seen anywhere in Japan. (And Japan has huge indoor pools.)
It has at least two arcades (for games) as I remember as well as many shops and restaurants.

The only drawback as far as cultural interaction is that the Tomamu Resort is secluded from the rest of the area. It's like a little town of its own. But that gives you complete security, too.

You can cover this shortcoming by staying in another part of Hokkaido or anywhere in Japan for a few days after the skiing. In Hokkaido, I recommend Otaru, which is only an hour from Sapporo. The Noboribestu Onsen is also excellent though it may be too far from the Tomamu.

http://www.snowtomamu.jp/

:: NISEKO United :: NISEKO ALL MOUNTAIN PASS