JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
iodemek (Offline)
New to JF

Getting from Nagoya airport to Tokyo station - 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM

Our plane arrives at Nagoya airport, and we have to get to Tokyo Station as quickly as possible. I guess we'll take the shinkansen from Nagoya Station to Tokyo Station, but is there always enough room on the trains or should we reserve tickets before we go?

What kind of transfer from Nagoya airport to Nagoya Station is recommended and where do we find it?

Tips and advice is greatly appreciated
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodemek View Post
Our plane arrives at Nagoya airport, and we have to get to Tokyo Station as quickly as possible. I guess we'll take the shinkansen from Nagoya Station to Tokyo Station, but is there always enough room on the trains or should we reserve tickets before we go?

What kind of transfer from Nagoya airport to Nagoya Station is recommended and where do we find it?

Tips and advice is greatly appreciated
Either way you will have to get to the Nagoya station first by bus, then you can transfer to shinkansen. The tokkaido route is extremely busy, so you best reserve a seat. You will need at least 2.5 hours to get to Tokyo from Nagoya
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
08-20-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Either way you will have to get to the Nagoya station first by bus, then you can transfer to shinkansen. The tokkaido route is extremely busy, so you best reserve a seat. You will need at least 2.5 hours to get to Tokyo from Nagoya
yeah I just checked EKITAN and it seems your only way from Nagoya Airport to Nagoya Eki is by bus and is 500en. There are few non-reserved seats on shinkansen so it's much better to reserve a seat.

Why didn't you just fly in to Haneda or Narita?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
yeah I just checked EKITAN and it seems your only way from Nagoya Airport to Nagoya Eki is by bus and is 500en. There are few non-reserved seats on shinkansen so it's much better to reserve a seat.

Narita is pretty far from Tokyo though... It's like an hour and a half by bus

I
沖縄           My blog
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-20-2008, 08:28 PM

The price difference between reserved and non reserved seats is so small, it it more than worth the peace of mind knowing you have seats together.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

08-20-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Narita is pretty far from Tokyo though... It's like an hour and a half by bus
i know, but far cheaper and faster to get to tokyo
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:

HUH?

"Nagoya Airport" no longer handles international flights, and hasn`t for quite a while. Unless you`re flying from somewhere inside Japan, then you`re not going to be flying into "Nagoya Airport"... And even then, it`s pretty doubtful as I hardly ever hear of that airport still being used these days. It seems they`ve switched over to more industrial uses than passenger.

International flights all come into Chubu - which is casually referred to as Nagoya airport, even though it`s not really in Nagoya. (Neither is the actual Nagoya Airport, to be honest.)

I think this is more a case of thinking of Chubu as as Nagoya airport, just like thinking of Narita as Tokyo airport. When someone flies into Tokyo, in almost every case it`s Narita, not Haneda.

Chubu is connected directly to the train system. You board the train literally in the lobby of the airport. You can take the express straight to either Nagoya station or Kanayama, where you can get on to the Shinkansen.

As far as personal experience goes, unless you can buy your shinkansen ticket hours in advance, it`s not all that worthwhile to reserve a seat. If reserved seats are still available for the train coming in the next 10 or 15 minutes, non-reserved seats are going to be open. Reserved seats go long before the non-reserved. Unless you`re trying to travel on a major holiday, there is pretty much no chance of not being able to get on the train. If for some strange strange reason there are no free seats, wait another 10 minutes in line and be the first to get on the next train - as they pretty much start from either Nagoya or Kanayama.

You can pull the whole thing off in 3 hours or less.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-20-2008 at 11:15 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

08-21-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
HUH?

"Nagoya Airport" no longer handles international flights, and hasn`t for quite a while. Unless you`re flying from somewhere inside Japan, then you`re not going to be flying into "Nagoya Airport"... And even then, it`s pretty doubtful as I hardly ever hear of that airport still being used these days. It seems they`ve switched over to more industrial uses than passenger.

International flights all come into Chubu - which is casually referred to as Nagoya airport, even though it`s not really in Nagoya. (Neither is the actual Nagoya Airport, to be honest.)
this should be directed at the OP who for some reason is flying into "Nagoya aiport" and going to tokyo right away

Quote:

I think this is more a case of thinking of Chubu as as Nagoya airport, just like thinking of Narita as Tokyo airport. When someone flies into Tokyo, in almost every case it`s Narita, not Haneda.
Im aware of Narita and Handa, I was just saying either of them would be easier/faster to get to Tokyo Eki directly then via "Nagoya Airport". I'm a bit confused as to why he/she is flying there in the first place if they need to get to Tokyo Eki ASAP.

Quote:
Chubu is connected directly to the train system. You board the train literally in the lobby of the airport. You can take the express straight to either Nagoya station or Kanayama, where you can get on to the Shinkansen.
well, that's good news for the thread starter cos putting "Nagoya Airport" (i didn't know about Chubu) in ekitan website it only shows buses going to Nagoya Eki. This makes things a lot easier for him/her I think.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
this should be directed at the OP who for some reason is flying into "Nagoya aiport" and going to tokyo right away
It wasn`t so much directed at you as the OP... But it was, in part, in our direction. You weren`t aware of the "New" Nagoya airport, so were giving advice that was not accurate.

Quote:
Im aware of Narita and Handa, I was just saying either of them would be easier/faster to get to Tokyo Eki directly then via "Nagoya Airport". I'm a bit confused as to why he/she is flying there in the first place if they need to get to Tokyo Eki ASAP.
Err, I never said anyone wasn`t aware of Narita or Haneda. I said that Chubu being called "Nagoya Airport" is pretty much the same as Narita being referred to as "Tokyo Airport". (Which isn`t all that uncommon.)
It only takes a few seconds to figure out which Nagoya airport handles international flights.

Quote:
well, that's good news for the thread starter cos putting "Nagoya Airport" (i didn't know about Chubu) in ekitan website it only shows buses going to Nagoya Eki. This makes things a lot easier for him/her I think.
I`m sure it will.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

08-21-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
It wasn`t so much directed at you as the OP... But it was, in part, in our direction. You weren`t aware of the "New" Nagoya airport, so were giving advice that was not accurate.

Err, I never said anyone wasn`t aware of Narita or Haneda. I said that Chubu being called "Nagoya Airport" is pretty much the same as Narita being referred to as "Tokyo Airport". (Which isn`t all that uncommon.)
It only takes a few seconds to figure out which Nagoya airport handles international flights.

I`m sure it will.
thanks for clearing that up