LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
iodemek (Offline)
New to JF

08-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Either way you will have to get to the Nagoya station first by bus, then you can transfer to shinkansen. The tokkaido route is extremely busy, so you best reserve a seat. You will need at least 2.5 hours to get to Tokyo from Nagoya
I see. As I understand it you can't reserve a seat in advance from outside Japan, but I guess I'll do it as soon as I get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
Why didn't you just fly in to Haneda or Narita?
Because we got a great deal for Nagoya. It only cost 4700kr (727USD), and the cheapest flight we found to Narita was close to 8000kr (1 238USD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
HUH?

"Nagoya Airport" no longer handles international flights, and hasn`t for quite a while. Unless you`re flying from somewhere inside Japan, then you`re not going to be flying into "Nagoya Airport"... And even then, it`s pretty doubtful as I hardly ever hear of that airport still being used these days. It seems they`ve switched over to more industrial uses than passenger.

International flights all come into Chubu - which is casually referred to as Nagoya airport, even though it`s not really in Nagoya. (Neither is the actual Nagoya Airport, to be honest.)

I think this is more a case of thinking of Chubu as as Nagoya airport, just like thinking of Narita as Tokyo airport. When someone flies into Tokyo, in almost every case it`s Narita, not Haneda.

Chubu is connected directly to the train system. You board the train literally in the lobby of the airport. You can take the express straight to either Nagoya station or Kanayama, where you can get on to the Shinkansen.

As far as personal experience goes, unless you can buy your shinkansen ticket hours in advance, it`s not all that worthwhile to reserve a seat. If reserved seats are still available for the train coming in the next 10 or 15 minutes, non-reserved seats are going to be open. Reserved seats go long before the non-reserved. Unless you`re trying to travel on a major holiday, there is pretty much no chance of not being able to get on the train. If for some strange strange reason there are no free seats, wait another 10 minutes in line and be the first to get on the next train - as they pretty much start from either Nagoya or Kanayama.

You can pull the whole thing off in 3 hours or less.
Well, I guess it has to be Chubu. It only says Stockholm - Helsinki - Nagoya on my ticket, but it must be Chubu. I'm sorry for the confusion. It feels good knowing that it shouldn't be any problems getting a seat

Big thanks to everybody who cleared things up for me. It is much appreciated
(#12 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Narita is pretty far from Tokyo though... It's like an hour and a half by bus
But if he is taking a train anyways, its only about 45 minutes on the express train, IF there is no delay