JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
scott (Offline)
New to JF

Heading to Japan in 3 Wks Have a few questions! - 09-29-2008, 03:38 AM

Hey all,

This forum seems to be a great find while I was looking for some travel advice for japan. I am from Canada and am heading to japan 3 wks from now and like the procrastinator that me and my friends are we are starting to semi plan this now. Was hoping if anyone could answer a few questions.

We are landing in Osaka Kansai Airport and leaving at Tokyo Narita Airport. Firstly we were thinking about booking some rooms with toyoko-inn.com but before we do this we were just wondering about the transportation and specifically the amount of time it takes to get to a destination.

We are planning on probably staying in Osaka for 3 nights maybe roam or spend like half a day in Kyoto and then spend the rest of the time in Tokyo.

So I guess my first question is with the Japan Rail pass, how long does it take to get from Osaka to Tokyo? I believe this is using the Shinkansen trains(bullet trains?).

Second question I have is where are some great places to visit in these 3 cities that you would recommend no tourist miss.

Third question, what are some great night life areas to go to while in Osaka or Tokyo? Im hoping that atleast some of these nightclubs will have some locals and not just a club or bar thats full of foreigners.

I think for now these are my main questions, thanks for all the help!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-29-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Hey all,

This forum seems to be a great find while I was looking for some travel advice for japan. I am from Canada and am heading to japan 3 wks from now and like the procrastinator that me and my friends are we are starting to semi plan this now. Was hoping if anyone could answer a few questions.

We are landing in Osaka Kansai Airport and leaving at Tokyo Narita Airport. Firstly we were thinking about booking some rooms with toyoko-inn.com but before we do this we were just wondering about the transportation and specifically the amount of time it takes to get to a destination.

We are planning on probably staying in Osaka for 3 nights maybe roam or spend like half a day in Kyoto and then spend the rest of the time in Tokyo.

So I guess my first question is with the Japan Rail pass, how long does it take to get from Osaka to Tokyo? I believe this is using the Shinkansen trains(bullet trains?).

Second question I have is where are some great places to visit in these 3 cities that you would recommend no tourist miss.

Third question, what are some great night life areas to go to while in Osaka or Tokyo? Im hoping that atleast some of these nightclubs will have some locals and not just a club or bar thats full of foreigners.

I think for now these are my main questions, thanks for all the help!
How long are you staying for?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
scott (Offline)
New to JF

09-29-2008, 04:20 AM

Approximately for 10 days.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-29-2008, 04:31 AM

Osaka to Tokyo is about 3 hours.

I am not sure what you are interested in, so it is hard to recommend. Nara kooen (Nara Park) is about 45 minutes by train from Osaka, and it is definately worth seeing the Great Buddha there. In Kyoto I'd see Kiyomizu Temple. I like Monkey Mountain in west Kyoto.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
scott (Offline)
New to JF

09-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the reply MMM, well as for what im interested in, to be honest since this is such a different culture from Canada I could imagine i'd be interested in everything. From old age culture to new school high tech gadgetry.

I searched some older threads in this site and found a few nice nightlife spots. Anyone else have some nice recommendations?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
09-29-2008, 06:31 PM

get a day bus pass (for 500en) from the bus place infront of kyoto station. then you can travel all over kyoto all day long as much as you want (the bus fare are pretty expensive in kyoto, over 200 en i believe). As far as what to stop at, theres a looooooooot to see in kyoto. Some of my favorites were : kyomizudera, gion, nijoujou, kinkakuji. But really, theres soo much to see, you can even do it on a whim the day you arrive because they give you a map with your day pass with all the sites. I suggest spending more time in Kyoto because it has a lot more to see than Osaka and I didn't get to see as much as I liked to in 2 and 1/2 days, I'm afraid 1/2 day is really not much. I probably spent ~2hrs per temple/castle.

For osaka area, Namba is really cool for food/shopping/people watching...amazingly huuuuuuuge shopping place. And the crab & glico man are there (famous in japan)

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

09-29-2008, 06:39 PM

1. Osaka to Tokyo is a 3 hour trip on the Shinosaka line

2. HALF a day in Kyoto? You might want to reconsider this. Especially since your going to stay 3 weeks in Japan. Even if you dont like culture and history you have to. Spending a week in kyoto should like you 2 weeks for Tokyo which is a good start. Kyoto is the cultural capital of Japan. There is so much to see that you could spend A LOT of time there.

Then theres the surrounding like Nara. I mean just google Kyoto or pick a book about Japan and look for Kyoto and youll understand.

For exemple look over here: Kyoto Travel Guide

3. Like you said. This question as already been answered a lot of times over here. Just take a look in there and have some fun ! Japan guide books are also usuful.

Sorry if my answers arent so helpful but the most important thing i can tell you is the really reconsider the time you want to spend in Kyoto. It doesnt matter if your a techno-electro-skyscrapper-megacity junkie that dont like culture, history and that kind of stuff. You HAVE TO see the temples, shrines, gardents and etc. in Kyoto. Hehe

have fun
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
09-29-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisthlin View Post
1. Osaka to Tokyo is a 3 hour trip on the Shinosaka line

2. HALF a day in Kyoto? You might want to reconsider this. Especially since your going to stay 3 weeks in Japan. Even if you dont like culture and history you have to. Spending a week in kyoto should like you 2 weeks for Tokyo which is a good start. Kyoto is the cultural capital of Japan. There is so much to see that you could spend A LOT of time there.

Then theres the surrounding like Nara. I mean just google Kyoto or pick a book about Japan and look for Kyoto and youll understand.

For exemple look over here: Kyoto Travel Guide

3. Like you said. This question as already been answered a lot of times over here. Just take a look in there and have some fun ! Japan guide books are also usuful.

Sorry if my answers arent so helpful but the most important thing i can tell you is the really reconsider the time you want to spend in Kyoto. It doesnt matter if your a techno-electro-skyscrapper-megacity junkie that dont like culture, history and that kind of stuff. You HAVE TO see the temples, shrines, gardents and etc. in Kyoto. Hehe

have fun
agree 100% with this post

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-29-2008, 08:01 PM

Except his is only spending 10 days in Japan. I agree, there is more to see, as a tourist, in Kyoto than Osaka. 1/2 a day is not enough (but you can spend the night in Osaka)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
scott (Offline)
New to JF

09-29-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the great advice all and yes I am staying for 10 days in Japan. But it seems like everyone is highly recommending Kyoto so maybe I will do some reconsideration in terms of the time I want to spend there. Only reason why I considered staying longer in Osaka was the fact that since I am landing Osaka I might as well spend a little more time here.

In terms of travel Osaka looks relatively close to Kyoto, so perhaps I could have my hotel in Osaka while traveling to kyoto to check it out and perhaps spend 2 or 3 days there which seems to be what MMM is also recommending. Does that sound like a better idea?

Thanks also for the great destinations in kyoto and advice Kenmei and Raisthlin.