JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   completing my Education in japan >> ? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/20826-completing-my-education-japan-%3E%3E.html)

MMM 11-14-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samokan (Post 627295)
try waseda university. I'm not sure about undergrad if they are assigned to translator but some masteral student i know who studied there were assigned to one and their assigned professor also can speak english.

but most of their class were held in japanese.

undergrad usually have intensive japanese lessons.

some monbusho scholars I know, have really intensive japanese class for a year, I think they study everyday more or less 10 hours of japanese lessons per day and by the end of the year they are expected to reach the JLPT 2 or 1.

JLPT 1 in one year. That would be like writing a graduate thesis after studying English for a year.

Nyororin 11-14-2008 12:40 AM

You can get into international programs without any Japanese...
However, you will be in an intensive university level Japanese course for the first year or year and a half with absolutely no time spent on anything else. It is possibly, in that environment, to reach a workable level of Japanese in that amount of time... But think 8 hours a day of intensive language classes, and nothing else.

Not that it is a bad path at all if your goal is to study in Japan. In fact, it`s the best path in my opinion. Studying Japanese outside of Japan will take an eternity.

Nyororin 11-14-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 627304)
JLPT 1 in one year. That would be like writing a graduate thesis after studying English for a year.

But it can and has been done. It`s the level and intensity of the classes - and the determination of the student.
I do have to say that the majority who pull it off are Chinese, so have kanji background to draw from though.

MMM 11-14-2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 627311)
But it can and has been done. It`s the level and intensity of the classes - and the determination of the student.
I do have to say that the majority who pull it off are Chinese, so have kanji background to draw from though.

Aha...that would make sense. That must be intense!

Nyororin 11-14-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 627314)
Aha...that would make sense. That must be intense!

I once talked to someone about halfway through the course. She was doing 8 hours of back to back 60 to 90 minute classes, 2 hours of individual speaking practice after them, then 4 hours of solo listening+writing practice and homework each night. Squeeze meals and a bath in there and the day is over.

samokan 11-14-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 627304)

yeah i also shocked to learn that. I know this mongolian girl who was under that program, after a year of intensive japanese language study, she was required to either take level 1 or 2. she did take level 2. if she can't pass she can't proceed to her degree.

samokan 11-14-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 627319)
I once talked to someone about halfway through the course. She was doing 8 hours of back to back 60 to 90 minute classes, 2 hours of individual speaking practice after them, then 4 hours of solo listening+writing practice and homework each night. Squeeze meals and a bath in there and the day is over.

yeah that's about their schedule per day .. i think they are required to memorize at least 10 kanji per day.. with all the vocab, and grammar and all ..:eek:

Nyororin 11-14-2008 01:02 AM

Maybe I`m just spoiled, but after that type of schedule, I`d want to be able to handwrite a novel with some pretty impressive prose...
I don`t think it would really be able that unthinkable to hit JLPT2 after a course like that - I passed it after only a little over a year in Japan, with no actual study. The gap between 2 and 1 took some time, but 14 hours a day of study for a year and it doesn`t sound impossible to me at all, really.

samokan 11-14-2008 01:05 AM

I think it's really doable, it all comes down to your interest and determination

BlueStar 11-14-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 627310)
You can get into international programs without any Japanese...
However, you will be in an intensive university level Japanese course for the first year or year and a half with absolutely no time spent on anything else. It is possibly, in that environment, to reach a workable level of Japanese in that amount of time... But think 8 hours a day of intensive language classes, and nothing else.

Not that it is a bad path at all if your goal is to study in Japan. In fact, it`s the best path in my opinion. Studying Japanese outside of Japan will take an eternity.

so in this international program, i can study in english.
but i have to study 1 year ja. lang.
8 hours is easy i think
cuz i studied en in one year 8 hours a day

thanks........