JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Famico666 (Offline)
New to JF

Talking Sakura Viewing 2009 - 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been looking everywhere for up-to-date information on sakura viewing in English and I've struggled to find it. So I thought I'd take actions into my own hands!

What I think would be really cool is if people currently living in Japan can post in this thread when the cherry blossom first blooms in their area. Hopefully we can then track the sakura 'front' as it crosses Japan.

I shall be in China for the next few months and plan on hopping across to Japan when the cherry blossom is in season, but I'd like to know where it is! I'm sure I'm not the only person seeking this information.

With everyone's help, hopefully we'll create the definitive Sakura-Watch 2009!

So, if you live in Japan, as soon as the cherry blossom appears in your area, please post a little message here telling us (with a note saying where you are).

I hope people think this is a good idea. Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-16-2009, 10:00 AM

I've made plans to attend two different hanami parties, one at Yoyogi park, and the other at lake Hakkako. I planned for 2 different days on the likely event that it will rain on at least one of them.

Last year my gf and I went to Ueno park, but it was extremely crowded, and the smell of festival food, spilled beer, and vomit became a little unbearable as the evening wore on. My gf and I are looking for more family-oriented places this year.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Weather News has a really excellent sakura watch here;
さくら情報 - ウェザーニュース

They haven`t yet started the watch for 2009 yet (as it`s too early in the year), but last year there were 16000 something users reporting on the blooming of trees near them.

Far more accurate than the few users scattered around Japan on here.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Famico666 (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Aaaah... I found that page, but I didn't understand it. Can someone decipher it for me please? I'm guessing the little spots turn to one of those colours when the blossom has started? But what do they mean?

Well, yeah, that's probably better than this thread, but it won't hurt, will it? The human touch!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nikon3 (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2009, 02:25 PM

Please,when in China when going to The Wall,go to a place called Hung Hua Cheng, nice Wall in ruins and restored part to,but no crowded there.
I have some pics here. Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing photos gilera
Enjou,Milo.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-17-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famico666 View Post
Aaaah... I found that page, but I didn't understand it. Can someone decipher it for me please? I'm guessing the little spots turn to one of those colours when the blossom has started? But what do they mean?

Well, yeah, that's probably better than this thread, but it won't hurt, will it? The human touch!
Download the Google toolbar, it can translate (more or less) Japanese into English.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-17-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Download the Google toolbar, it can translate (more or less) Japanese into English.
Ahh, that's a bunch of bloatware. This site has a beta webpage translator, give it a shot.

I understand that the flowers are really pretty and all, I saw a few of the trees in Washington DC and they were alright, but is there something about hanami I can't understand without seeing it myself? People (and especially foreigners) seem almost rabid about it, am I missing something?

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-17-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
Ahh, that's a bunch of bloatware. This site has a beta webpage translator, give it a shot.

I understand that the flowers are really pretty and all, I saw a few of the trees in Washington DC and they were alright, but is there something about hanami I can't understand without seeing it myself? People (and especially foreigners) seem almost rabid about it, am I missing something?
The Japanese are even more rabid about it, often camping out overnight to reserve spots for their families or co workers.

My last hanami party was a great experience. Friends, beer, food, beer, flowers, beer, music and singing, more beer, and lots of fun, and even more beer.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-17-2009, 04:42 AM

Well if my sources are correct, the Japanese can't refuse an excuse to drink. Hey, we've got something in common!

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Famico666 (Offline)
New to JF

Why sakura is so important... - 01-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Yeah, the flowers are small - they're blossom, after all.

I understand it's the fact that they're there for such a brief length of time that is cool. They're not there, then they're there, then they're not again. It's meant to be a metaphor for the fleetingness of life. As life is so short, you should enjoy it while it lasts. By drinking beer.