JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
absolutebrutal (Offline)
New to JF

A basic budget for Japan? (20 days) - 01-27-2009, 01:02 PM

i did a little search on this and didn't quite find the info i am looking for.

during February i am going to Japan with my husband for around 20 days. we've been researching as much as we can (as well as lurking these forums ) and our itinerary is to stick in/around the Tokyo area, because i think we'll get an range of different "sides" of Japan without going bankrupt.

for the three week trip we are taking £4,200 which works out at around 527,463JPY. our first 7 nights accommodation is costing us 12,000JPY out of that money, and the following weeks will work out around the same.

so our weekly budget (which includes travel costs, although mostly we'll walk/bike places unless it really can't be done) is £1000 per week. is this reasonable? any info on good budgeting or advice on things that may cost a bit extra is greatly appreciated.

mainly we're visiting shrines, parks and Ueno Zoo. we'd like to spend a few days of the trip seeing all the obvious sites around Tokyo and, if it's possible, i'd like a side trip to the Mt Fuji area.

realistically, what is possible in Japan on a budget of £1000 a week? (which i think is 120,000JPY at the moment).

whoops, wasn't supposed to write an essay =/!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
arky (Offline)
New to JF

Talking I think.... - 01-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Nice to meet you.
It is worried about the budget for trip.
I think that prices and the hotel bill of the Tokyo area are high. Please use the youth hostel if you do not have any problem. I think that you can hold down the lodging charges cheaply.
Please do a good trip.

TOKYO INTERNATIONAL HOSTEL

HI - Hostel Tokyo - Yoyogi YH Youth Hostel

http://sumidagawayh.com/page019.html

arky@osaka大阪人で~す I'm arky from osaka

もーかりまっか  ぼちぼちでんな~
how are you ? I'm fine !!

よろしゅーたのんます!! thank you!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutebrutal View Post
i did a little search on this and didn't quite find the info i am looking for.

during February i am going to Japan with my husband for around 20 days. we've been researching as much as we can (as well as lurking these forums ) and our itinerary is to stick in/around the Tokyo area, because i think we'll get an range of different "sides" of Japan without going bankrupt.

for the three week trip we are taking £4,200 which works out at around 527,463JPY. our first 7 nights accommodation is costing us 12,000JPY out of that money, and the following weeks will work out around the same.

so our weekly budget (which includes travel costs, although mostly we'll walk/bike places unless it really can't be done) is £1000 per week. is this reasonable? any info on good budgeting or advice on things that may cost a bit extra is greatly appreciated.

mainly we're visiting shrines, parks and Ueno Zoo. we'd like to spend a few days of the trip seeing all the obvious sites around Tokyo and, if it's possible, i'd like a side trip to the Mt Fuji area.

realistically, what is possible in Japan on a budget of £1000 a week? (which i think is 120,000JPY at the moment).

whoops, wasn't supposed to write an essay =/!
Hi,

I was able to fit both Kansai and Kanto in 14 days with a budget of around 400000 yen (years ago), including air fare and all accomodations... so if you stick only to Tokyo, then you should be fine. Though its a real waste to only stay in Tokyo

there are a few places that will give you a glimpse of Fuji, my personal preference is Hakone, only because it give me the option to travel up to Lake Ashi using the cable cars, a completely different view

Do drop by yokohama

Have fun and take lots of pics
(#4 (permalink))
Old
absolutebrutal (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2009, 10:31 PM

we'd very much like to travel outside of Tokyo but we're just not sure how much it will cost us. like i say, our budget is £1000 a week (roughly) and i don't want to run out of money before the end of the trip.

however, i would just love to go to Kyoto if it's possible.

::good try but not this time::
(#5 (permalink))
Old
arky (Offline)
New to JF

Talking For example - 01-28-2009, 03:17 AM

Tokyo - Kyoto.  
In the case of quantity of Shinkansen: 13,520 yen about 3 hours.
A bargain night bus: About 4,000 yen - 6,000 yen about 7 hours .

It is the rate of the one way adult alone.

City transportation expenses to depend on sightseeing: As for the bus or the subway about 200 yen *5 times =1,000 yen (1day about).

light meal (morning / noon) 1,000 yen - 1,500 yen(1 meal about).
One meal of supper 1,500 yen - 3,000 yen.

hotel bills (in the case of a youth hostel)
About 4,000 yen - 5,000 yen (a dormitory with meal)

It is about 8,000 yen - 20,000 yen one days in the case of the budget hotels.

In addition, it is about 1,500 yen entering a building charges of a temple or the museum .

Should I serve as a reference?

arky@osaka大阪人で~す I'm arky from osaka

もーかりまっか  ぼちぼちでんな~
how are you ? I'm fine !!

よろしゅーたのんます!! thank you!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
absolutebrutal (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2009, 11:36 AM

well as i've said, we already have accommodation covered. it is costing us 12000JPY a week, that is for 7 nights and both of us. we are there for three weeks so it works out at 36,000JPY for the whole trip.

so, apart from 12,000JPY a week for sleeps, the rest of our money can be spent on travel (thanks for the info on that by the way arky) and visiting places. i'm thinking that as long as we don't go crazy ("must... resist... crazy...") it should be enough.

we're not interested in buying gifts or souvenirs, just sight seeing really. given the info provided i think 120,000JPY a week is plenty. maybe, if we took the night bus option, we could afford a trip to Kyoto with an overnight stay.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

01-28-2009, 11:50 AM

I would really try and make it to Kyoto, whether by Shinkansen or bus, it'll be worth it. 20 days is much too long to spend just around the Tokyo area. If you're around Kyoto, you can also have possible trips to Nara and Osaka, both of which are relatively inexpensive to reach from Kyoto. It'd be a shame to miss out on this part of Japan!

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-28-2009, 01:18 PM

A one week rail pass isn't too expensive, maybe if you get a one week rail pass, that will give you the option for Japan.

I would suggest to "go cheap" on hotels, go down to something like a business hotel, that cost you around 35-60 USD a night, so that will shave some cost. With 2 people, you are looking at around 840 USD for the week. If my math is correct, you save around 30000 yen a week

That said, you probably can very well make 1 week (or even 10 days) trip to Kensai area....I am in the midst of planning out my own honeymoon for October/November, here is what I have for the Kensai part (Still planning out my Tokyo side, I am planning for 18 days total):

Day 1 - Hakata
Day 2 - Miyajima
Day 3 - Kobe, Himeji
Day 4 - Osaka
Day 5 - Osaka
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - Kyoto
Day 8 - Kyoto
Day 9 - Nagoya, Hakone
Day 10 - Hakone
Day 11 - Yokohama

Something like that... I have budgeted around 6000 USD for the 2 of us for this trip....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
aleighwhite (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2009, 07:48 PM

: O Where are you staying that costs only $133 a week?? (you had said 12000JPY)

I'm going in October, so I'm curious. thanks
(#10 (permalink))
Old
absolutebrutal (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2009, 09:24 PM

a place in Asakusa, called Asakusa Smile. they have a website if you want to check it out, they've been really helpful and friendly so far.

theres also a place called 'Tokyo Hostel' that charges 2,000JPY a night, period. but they don't have mixed dorms, and since it's my honeymoon i'd rather not spend a week on a separate floor to my hubby. but if you go with a mate of the same gender it'd be cheap and ideal! as long as you don't mind basic.