JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   American Cosplayers (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/23174-american-cosplayers.html)

burkhartdesu 02-15-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 675212)
The point of cosplaying is much more than having a "perfect" looking costume. It is about self-expression and enjoying yourself. Take this in the spirit it is intended, burkhartdesu, when I say you are missing the whole point when you make fun of cosplayers like this.

I understand self-expression but that still doesn't change the fact that these people, even in their own element, look ridiculous. You seem to be portraying this foolishness as 'self-expression' when it's totally unoriginal... I'm not making fun of cosplay, I'm making fun of people who have costumes made out of foam and clearly don't have a grasp on reality.

But nonetheless, more power to them! I find it quite entertaining.

Tenniskettle 02-15-2009 12:54 AM

hi can someone explain to me what the original poster is on about?

i recognise one of the pics as from dragonball z and am assuming he means dont visit japan in cliche custome...

please tell me what he or she is on about?

Naoko 02-15-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenniskettle (Post 675230)
hi can someone explain to me what the original poster is on about?

i recognise one of the pics as from dragonball z and am assuming he means dont visit japan in cliche custome...

please tell me what he or she is on about?

I'm not touching that one with a 10-ft pole.......

GregFromScotland 02-15-2009 01:33 AM

Me and my significant other (who comes from japan) both came to the terms that cosplay only works if:

- It's a girl cosplayer
- Guy's only suit uniforms.
- Westerners can cosplay IF they make a costume that compliments them individually. Just choosing any character leads to fails.
- Go for a uniform that hasn't been done loads of times before. Dragonball being one of the most over-done cosplays in japan.

Altaru 02-15-2009 01:37 AM

Seriously? Another post of this type?

I'm sick of seeing people take the absolute WORST of American cosplay and comparing it the the best (sometimes even the PROFESSIONAL) of Japanese cosplay.

I've seen plenty of incredible American cosplayers. It's just that they never tend to end up in threads like this.

I'm wondering why? [/sarcasm]

AsianAtHeart 02-15-2009 02:43 AM

I'm hit & missing the point of this thread. But I get the part about unfair comparison. You are obviously an extreme purist.

Alot of Americans that do cosplay view it as dressing up, for the most part; it's all in good fun. I've seen some amazing cosplays, but they're rarely in threads like these, they seem to want to stay on Deviant Art or Anime conventions.....or you can surf cosplay pics here, even, there are some really good ones. I saw an awesome Lelouch the other day.

burkhartdesu 02-15-2009 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altaru (Post 675243)
I've seen plenty of incredible American cosplayers. It's just that they never tend to end up in threads like this.

I'm wondering why? [/sarcasm]

Okay, so my initial post was a little dramatic-- but all "[/sarcasm]" aside I was pretty much just commenting on people who wear foam outfits of characters in played-out manga.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregFromScotland (Post 675241)
- It's a girl cosplayer
- Guy's only suit uniforms.
- Westerners can cosplay IF they make a costume that compliments them individually. Just choosing any character leads to fails.
- Go for a uniform that hasn't been done loads of times before. Dragonball being one of the most over-done cosplays in japan.

It shall be written in stone!

And just for kicks and giggles here is a really awesome AMERICAN cosplayer.

:vsign:

MMM 02-15-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkhartdesu (Post 675221)
I understand self-expression but that still doesn't change the fact that these people, even in their own element, look ridiculous. You seem to be portraying this foolishness as 'self-expression' when it's totally unoriginal... I'm not making fun of cosplay, I'm making fun of people who have costumes made out of foam and clearly don't have a grasp on reality.

But nonetheless, more power to them! I find it quite entertaining.

I think hard-core Harley riders and Southern belle beauty queens look just as, if not more ridiculous. Thankfully for them, my opinion means almost nothing to them.

And check out these cosplayers...FROM JAPAN

burkhartdesu 02-15-2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 675291)
I think hard-core Harley riders and Southern belle beauty queens look just as, if not more ridiculous. Thankfully for them, my opinion means almost nothing to them.

And check out these cosplayers...FROM JAPAN

LOL! Well put.

Kiyuge 02-15-2009 04:38 AM

I think that is unfair! I've seen plenty of good american cosplays! And who cares if its not perfect? It's fun to cosplay. I don't care if it looks great or not, I work really hard on my cosplays, and if people say its crappy that hurts my feelings but it doesn't stop me from having fun!