JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RyanHull (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to RyanHull
Arrow Going to a Japanese University right out of High school? - 02-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Hi i was just wondering,, can i do all applied courses in high school then go to a Japanese University? I want to get my Bachelors Degree there. so ya the question is that can i just do all applied courses in high school and then go to a Japanese university?

also do Japanese colleges and universities both offer Bachelors degrees or just university

-thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHull View Post
Hi i was just wondering,, can i do all applied courses in high school then go to a Japanese University? I want to get my Bachelors Degree there. so ya the question is that can i just do all applied courses in high school and then go to a Japanese university?

also do Japanese colleges and universities both offer Bachelors degrees or just university

-thanks
Are you completely fluent in Japanese, enough that you'll be able to take lecture notes on University-level subjects, do 10-20 page essays/research papers with correct grammar, and take tests?

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
isisbathory (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Are you completely fluent in Japanese, enough that you'll be able to take lecture notes on University-level subjects, do 10-20 page essays/research papers with correct grammar, and take tests?

I have the same question...
Its very hard to do university, and especially if you dont know the language well enough
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Like....Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-23-2009, 02:14 AM

Either finish International Baccalaureate with Japanese as a first language or Pass EJU (Nihon Ryuugaku Shiken) which requires JLPT Level 1 equiv.

In your case, less than likely.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-23-2009, 03:08 AM

The only way, imo, you could go to a Japanese University, is if you take up studies focusing on Japanese language/culture and then in your second or third year of university in your home country, participate in a study abroad program where you spend a semester studying in a foreign country, and in your case, you can choose Japan. This seems like the more logical route, especially since, from what I gather, you aren't completely fluent in the language of Japanese. This would be easier for you to do.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2009, 03:44 AM

It may be possible to attend a Japanese university without being completely fluent before being admitted or passing the traditional entrance exams. Japan offers scholarships to foreign students to attend university in Japan. They don't require you to be admitted to a university in order to recieve the scholarship as placement in a university is part of the program. The language requirement for recieving the scholarship is "Applicant must be willing to learn the Japanese language and receive university education in it." If you manage to recieve the scholarship you will recieve up to a year of language instruction in Japan to prepare you to attend university.Japanese
Government Scholarships

They don't give out very many of these but it is another avenue to consider.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-23-2009, 05:53 AM

I am just curious as to why you would want to attend college to get degree in a foreign language you are not fluent in? This is the degree that will decide your future career.

I'll be honest when I say, I have lived in Japan, taught English in Japan, taught Japanese in the US and have been a translator of Japanese, and I wouldn't dream of trying to attend college in Japan in Japanese. It would be an exercise in frustration that has no ends. It would be generous to think I could spend three hours translating a one hour lecture. Now if I had 5 of those a day...

As a translator I try and not schedule more than 5 pages of a book per day. If I were a college student I could be expected to be reading 20+ pages a day...PER CLASS.

It sounds like pure Hell to me.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
03-03-2009, 05:46 AM

People wanna go to school in japan to slack off basically. Even though the best schools are in America.

they think they gonna go deal with classes and mess around in Tokyo and it'll be great.

i mean best schools in japan are like Todai, but if you dont know Japanese your not getting in PERIOD.

However, if you'd like to attend school in Japan, that is ENGLISH friendly and receive a bachelors degree.

I would suggest Sophia, or Temple University Japan (located in Tokyo near takanawa)

not sure with Sophia, but my friend is friends with the head of admissions there, its required you live on campus at least first year.

They do offer classes in English, and no they are not cheap.

If you really care about you education and want the best bang for the buck, id recommend a American university.

if you wanna teach English in japan, then you can just Go through the Jet program or ESL.

study abroad is fine for a lil bit 2, i mean some people just like to travel and learn all over.

looks good on business major resumes.

If you do plan on going to school to teach english in japan, and you are not fluent are awesome at what you do.

Be prepared to be sent to the boonies far far away from the fun stuff.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Actually - You CAN get into a Japanese university through an international student program. Usually with the first year dedicated entirely to language study, and the following years actually working toward your degree. The chances of this being possible shoot up quite a lot if you are aiming for a Japanese language degree.

So yes, it is technically possible. Just do not expect it to be cheap OR easy.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.