JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Animewatcher (Offline)
New to JF

03-13-2009, 04:20 AM

This is an interesting thread. I have been doing all the research I can on visiting/living in Japan. Housetek / MMM, How is the economy been effecting the job market as of late? Is it getting harder to get a job as a foreigner?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Where I walking today I saw a ton of help wanted signs including the SEGA City, dunno if it`s open to gaijin but I doubt it.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-13-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animewatcher View Post
This is an interesting thread. I have been doing all the research I can on visiting/living in Japan. Housetek / MMM, How is the economy been effecting the job market as of late? Is it getting harder to get a job as a foreigner?
That would just depend on which area you are looking at.

http://www.stat.go.jp/data/roudou/so...suki/index.htm

Unemployment is at 4.1% at the moment which is not too bad but with Japanese stock market fallen off a cliff to new 23 year lows, plunging exports and high Yen, picture isn't all that rosy.

建設業・・・・・・・・・・ 528万人と,18万人減少
製造業・・・・・・・・・・1128万人と,13万人減少
卸売業,小売業・・・1061万人と, 8万人増加
医療,福祉・・・・・・・・ 616万人と,32万人増加
サービス業・・・・・・・・ 465万人と, 3万人減少

Looks like there is a increase in medical and retail/wholesale jobs in January, where as everything else including service, manufacturing and construction is on the way down.

I also saw a report that the amount of commercial space vacant has hit 4 year highs in many parts of Japan.

All in all, the picture isn't rosy. However, with US's unemployment at 8%+, I guess you might be better off moving to Japan if you are fluent at Japanese.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-13-2009, 07:37 AM

Nice points on the race issue, Housetek.
I also think that some cases of disappointment come from mistaking these things (signs, behaviors, etc.) as racist.

Some people can be wise enough to acknowledge the fact that tourists are notorious for causing trouble or inconvenience... and yet, they can't spot the correlation between difficult tourists and the Japanese that are simply unwilling to deal with them. It's amazing.
... What's probably more confusing is the fact that most people make a big deal over not-20 or 30 signs... but only a few signs they came across -- if not just one.

And, by those signs, they conclude that Japan is racist.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
03-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animewatcher View Post
it depends on the job really.

If you speak japanese and english, its easier for you to get hired for some positions.

If its more corporate they'll be giving jobs to locals. Japan is in a state where jobs are scarce and its only likely they'll be giving jobs to locals or japan natives.

this is mainly b/c native japanese know the business culture in japan.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-14-2009, 02:49 AM

Housetek, I would say your information is fairly accurate, but is there any way for you to put it into more formal language with carefully constructed paragraphs, bullets, and tables, and without the several different colors of text? Don't take this personally, but I really was getting a headache trying to read through it. I think you can be safe with bold, italics, and underline for emphasis where you need it.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

03-14-2009, 03:45 AM

Is it true that plus-size clothing are not sold in Japan? If so, what about over-weight tourists and sumo wrestlers?

How do you get a student-visa? Are you eligible in college?

By the way, thank you for all the great info, Housetek!

Quote:
"And so, if you say in a beautiful rose there are thorns, in Lareine there is me, and behind that there are these guys (Emiru, Mayu, and Machi)."
~Kamijo
(Kamijo is the beautiful rose and Emiru, Mayu, and Machi are the thorns.)
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Pedro (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Pedro
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM

great!! thanks for the info man!
i dont know a thing on visa, i dont really know that burocratic stuff =[
the thing is that i would love to study architecture =] , yeah, that's my dream! i have been searching modern architecture, and i really fit well, like most of japanese modern architects...i am as "crazy"(not in an insultive way) as them =P...

this style is so like me
Japanese architecture | Busyboo Design Blog
Fishki.Net -

i think it is a pretty valid reason, at least for me, to study abroad...i'm ready to study to reach the same level as those professionals =P

PS: im not like those people who get an idea on their mind and get fixed at it. well, yeah i'd love to go to Japan, and i will fight for it. but im not like those people with that kind of obsessions

PPS: i really find difficult for me to accept those ideas of going on those crazy travels right after school!! im at 11th year(2th high-school year), and after high-school i plan on staying here for a couple years or so, get informed on everything, and only after that i'd go...
but still, i have a lot to search! =P

Last edited by Pedro : 03-14-2009 at 10:07 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
Is it true that plus-size clothing are not sold in Japan? If so, what about over-weight tourists and sumo wrestlers?

How do you get a student-visa? Are you eligible in college?

By the way, thank you for all the great info, Housetek!
It must be sold somewhere...I heard mostly from mail-order/Internet. I was at Uniqlo this week, and some styles of jeans (for men) only went up to 31 inches in the waist.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Animewatcher (Offline)
New to JF

03-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the info