JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ktkoo (Offline)
New to JF

Should I stay in Osaka or Kyoto? Advice please! - 03-20-2009, 03:47 AM

I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks with family and will be spending 5 days in the kyoto/osaka area, but I don't know where I should base myself.
Would it be better to stay in Osaka and do some day trips to Kyoto, or the other way around?
I know Osaka has better shopping and more food choices, but Kyoto seems to have more attractions, such as temples, shrines, castles etc. My parents will be more interested in cultural things rather than nightlife and shopping.

Also any advice on what things to do in Osaka and Kyoto?
Umeda, Namba, Universal Studios, kinkakuji (golden temple), Gion etc?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkoo View Post
I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks with family and will be spending 5 days in the kyoto/osaka area, but I don't know where I should base myself.
Would it be better to stay in Osaka and do some day trips to Kyoto, or the other way around?
I know Osaka has better shopping and more food choices, but Kyoto seems to have more attractions, such as temples, shrines, castles etc. My parents will be more interested in cultural things rather than nightlife and shopping.

Also any advice on what things to do in Osaka and Kyoto?
Umeda, Namba, Universal Studios, kinkakuji (golden temple), Gion etc?
I would say to stay in Osaka and take day trips to Kyoto. You only really need 2 days to cover the major shrines and temples.

What kind of things are you interested in doing? Osaka has a very nice aquarium, which I highly recommend if you are into this stuff. For castle, there is the Osaka Castle, or Himeji that is west of Osaka. Namba and Umeda are nice, Umeda sky building is good if you want to take some nice picture of sunset. Namba is really just for food and nightlife.. and some shopping, but then shopping is available everywhere in Japan

Kyoto, you probably want to go to the Kinkakuji and the Kyomizu Dera. Gion isn't all that exiting unless you guys want to watch a Geisha show, but its a good experience to have dinner at one of those traditional restaurant for a nice meal.

If you are all for just the culture and old traditional stuff, then just stay in Kyoto and spend one day in Osaka.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-20-2009, 04:35 PM

You might also want to visit Nara and Koya-san, both of which offer unique historical and cultural experiences, and are very close to Osaka.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
boardhead (Offline)
New to JF

03-22-2009, 02:03 AM

For me its a nobrainer- stay in Kyoto and travel to Osaka. But its all about what you want out of your trip. Last time I stayed in Kyoto for 5 days and there was just not enough time to see and do. This fall we will be there for another 5 days and it seems yet again there is just not enough time. Plus, there is something to be said for losing yourself in the backstreets of Kyoto.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-22-2009, 02:08 AM

I would stay in Osaka and do day trips to Kyoto...unless you want to stay in a Ryokan for a night, then I would do one night in Kyoto (they can be spendy).

I went with a religions major who wanted to see nothing but temples and shrines. After 3 or 4 days and 15+ sites even he had enough of the 'traditional' stuff. We then went to Monkey Mountain in Kyoto and had a blast.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
blushyy (Offline)
New to JF

03-23-2009, 12:57 AM

I agree with the other members here, stay in Osaka and do day trips to Kyoto.

Places I recommend .... Definitely Koyasan, it is such a beautiful place. I also recommend Fushimi Inari in Kyoto, I loved that place so much. Kiyomizudera is nice as well. If you're planning to go to Kinkakuji, might as well take a look at Ryouanji as well. I think that place is quite nice.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-23-2009, 02:28 AM

As MMM recommends, add one or two nights stay in Kyoto not as comodity but as an event.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.