JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maruchii (Offline)
New to JF

Getting paid in Japan !!! - 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Hey guys! Just serching for some advice.

It's my senior year this year and I'd really like to spend my last free summer in japan. I can't afford the regular trip, nor can I pay for the exchange programs. I've heard of other people going overseas and getting paid for their time there, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with doing something like that.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-26-2009, 07:32 PM

If you're American, then you're screwed. If you're in almost every other country, then you are eligible for the Working Holiday Visa. It allows you to stay in Japan up to 6 months with the ability of engaging in paid activities. (jobs)

Unfortunately, if you're American, you have to go through hell to do this, while we watch everyone else sign a piece of paper, then fly to Japan like it's nothing. Kind of weird, but heck, what are you gunna do, you know?

Anyways, here's some more information about holiday working visa: MOFA: The Working Holiday Programmes in Japan

If you're American, and have some degree, it's still very unlikely that someone will hire you for six months. You're basically out of luck. My advise is to find a friend in Japan, suck it up and buy the plane ticket, then live with you're friend for the summer. But you're not allowed to work.

Lucky me, I'm American. >.<

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 03-26-2009 at 07:36 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Maruchii (Offline)
New to JF

03-26-2009, 07:49 PM

ugh! no way! There isn't even some kind of program I can sign up for? Kina like a volunteer thing ...?

gah! I dunno what i'm talking about ...

Thanks for the MOFA info.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruchii View Post
ugh! no way! There isn't even some kind of program I can sign up for? Kina like a volunteer thing ...?

gah! I dunno what i'm talking about ...

Thanks for the MOFA info.
I'm guessing you're American?

Yeah, sucks to be us.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-27-2009, 03:30 AM

I thought working holiday was a year?

Anyway - you`re basically asking to be paid to go on vacation. This doesn`t happen often in the real world. If you cannot afford even the trip over, then I think you should rethink your plans, or start working really hard to get the money.

There are countless ways to get by cheaply once you`re in Japan, but it will be pretty hard to pull off if you can`t even afford to buy a ticket here.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
koikurasu (Offline)
Obey the fist!

Send a message via AIM to koikurasu Send a message via MSN to koikurasu Send a message via Skype™ to koikurasu
03-27-2009, 03:59 AM

Yeah, I figure if you cant afford plane ticket's I don't think it would go very well. :P how much would a plane ticket to Japan be anyway?

Was it something I said? Whatever it was, I didn't mean it. I haven't meant anything I've said for years. Except what I just said. I think

Final Fantasy Clan Member
CODE NAME: CHOCOBO
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-27-2009, 04:01 AM

I've seen signs at some small businesses in Tokyo saying that they want to hire people on the Working Holiday program, but the hours and pay are not great. Most of these jobs are as wait staff, or bar tenders, and most high schoolers are not old enough to work in these places.

Working Holiday visas are good for 6 months, and are not difficult to obtain in the countries which qualify for them.

The main reason that there is no Working Holiday Visa agreement between America and Japan is because so many people who visit America overstay their visas, often for many years (or forever). America is a strange place, rather than enforce immigration laws, they prefer simply make it more difficult to obtain visas while doing little to nothing to those who overstay. A friend of my gf's went to America on a student visa, it expired 5 or 6 years ago, but she is still living and working in America. You couldn't get away with that in Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-27-2009, 04:20 AM

Ah, I figured out why I was thinking it was one year. Apparently the UK issues 1 year working holiday visas, and the 6 month ones can be extended once to a total of one year.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-27-2009, 04:30 AM

Unfortunately, for Americans everyone is right. An exchange program will probably be your cheapest option. Hotels and hostels will mean you'll need probably $2500 at a minimum per month to stay.

Like has been said before...Japan isn't going anywhere. It'll be waiting for you when you are ready to make the trek.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-27-2009, 11:23 AM

I read through his initial post a couple of time, I think he is looking for ways to go there for free.....

"Paid for your time there" Thats what he is looking for....