JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Inzaghi22 (Offline)
New to JF

Ryokan/japanese style room -> Okinawa Prefecture - 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Hi!

I'm so glad I found this forum, it has already helped my a lot on planning my first trip to Japan in September 09

However, I have a bit of a problem now: i would love to stay in a ryokan/japanese style room at the end of my trip in Okinawa. I do not know yet where to go exactly, but I think I will decide for the island of Ishigaki or Miyako. My question now is whether somebody of you knows a good quality ryokan or japanese style room (can be in a "normal" hotel too!) in Ishigaki or Miyako. Of course I would prefer something near a nice beach, or even at the beach, but that is not the most important aspect. For me, most important is the style, cleanliness and of course the price, my limit would be somewhere around € 100 - 150 per night per room. By the way, my girlfriend is coming with me

I hope somebody can help me here, maybe one of you already stayed in something I am looking for... Of course I'm open for insider tips...

Thank you very much in advance, greetings from Austria,

Matthias

Last edited by Inzaghi22 : 04-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
04-26-2009, 11:04 AM

Well, i actually havent been there because it is over my price class, but the lonely planet recommends this one http://www.hoshinosuna.ne.jp/ on Iriomote. Iriomote is a 35-50 min Boatride from Ishigaki.
This place would be in front of the beach and it seems to have japanese style rooms too.
The homepage is in Japanese, so better get somebody to help you with the booking. The rooms start at 9000yen a night with 2 meals and i think the rate for a double is 7500yen per person with 2 meals.
this guy blogged about it Horizons in Everyday Life: Trip to 西表島 (Iriomote island, Japan) on 31 October - 03 November 2008
They also offer diving around that area and the trip on the river (around 15 min by bus) with a small hike to the waterfalls is also very beautifull.

Sorry, got nothing more, maybe ill see something on okinawa-honto in the next days. Theres some nice places on Hateruma and Yunaguni for aroudn 6000yen with food, but this ilands are a bit of the beaten track and dont offer big swimming beaches.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sophieJP (Offline)
New to JF

report of miyakojima travel. - 04-26-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi,
I just come back from a trip in Okinawa, ishigaki, and miyakojima.
Miyakojima is for me the best place to stay. beach are totally amaging and gorgeous! its one of the most incredible travel than i made.

For okinawa, it was hard to get a nice place, so i stay in business hotel.
For Ishigaki, i use to stay to friend house.
For Miyakojima, i found miyakojima paradise (check link)
and we rent one studio. Everything was perfect and staff so friendly.

For traveller who expect to travel on south island, i strongly recommand to visit small island. compare with Okinawa.....its totally more nice.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

05-01-2009, 10:33 PM

There are not many ryokans in Okinawa but there are many pensions. I did a quick search under "pensions in Okinawa" and found this site.
OkinawaBB Hotel & Inns
It might be a good starting point.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tarto (Offline)
New to JF

05-06-2009, 03:56 AM

Hi

As written above, you will mostly find pensions in Okinawa.

I went there a year and a half ago and I had a wonderful time! I can't really help you for the accommodation, as I didn't go in the same conditions (if you're traveling with your girlfriend, I guess you want something romantic on a beach).

Let me give my two cents regarding the islands:
- Miyako: very relaxing, beautiful beaches, definitely a great place to see

- Iriomote: totally awesome, but a different atmosphere (jungle, mangrove and waterfalls). I stayed at hoshinosuna pension, by the beach of the same name, you might want to consider it: http://www.hoshinosuna.ne.jp/

- Ishigaki: didn't like it that much. The city is UGLY and although it has a couple nice spots, I don't know, I just felt it was lacking something...

- Kerama islands: only 45 minutes from Naha by boat but totally different. Great diving spots, beautiful sea, a great place to chill out

- Naha: seriously, if it's your last night and you want to do something nice, don't stay on the main island

Just my personal opinion.

You might also want to consider Taketomi island right next to Ishigaki, I didn't go there but it's famous for its traditional houses. All the other islands "only" feature the usual Japanese architecture (my only real issue with Japan), with a special "ugliness award" for the main town in Ishigaki.

Besides, if you want more details, feel free to check out my blog (signature below), I've written a post about each island I visited.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Okinawa as much as I did!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RichardInJapan (Offline)
New to JF

Ishigaki - 06-05-2009, 04:54 PM

I live on Ishigaki island and I'd really recommend it to anybody who is considering a trip a bit further afield than Okinawa hountou. The beaches are beautiful, there's loads to do and you've got the rest of Yaeyama on your doorstep should you get bored. There's not a lot of info in English around but try this:

English Guide to Ishigaki

Also:
City site's English section
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Shokupanman (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2009, 02:56 AM

Okinawa Convention and Visitors Bureau

Wonder Okinawa Digital Archives

Those are just a couple of links with information about Okinawa.

There are many hostels in Okinawa to stay at and one does not have to rely purely on pensions either.

Here is a list of Hostels and more hostels .

One should try to keep in mind that the climate of Okinawa is not conducive(sp?) to the traditional Japanese Ryokan. There are literally thousands of hotel rooms that run from the top end 4 or 5 star resorts to bed and breakfasts.

One could easily find a room to fit their budget, but watch out for prices to rise during the peak vacation seasons.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Inzaghi22 (Offline)
New to JF

06-25-2009, 08:36 AM

@ all

Thank you very much for your answers, you already helped me a lot. A the moment, I am not sure whether I should go to Okinawa or not. As I wrote, I plan to go to Okinawa in late September (29.09. to 02.10.) and I am absolutely not sure about the weather...

Maybe one of you has some experience with the weather in the above mentioned period. I don't wanna go to Okinawa and sit in the hotel all day because of bad weather - rain and heavy wind.

I read somewhere that there should be some nice beaches in the Kobe area too? Is that true, does anybody of you know something about that?

Thank you again in advance for your help!

Matt
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Inzaghi22 (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2009, 06:27 AM

Hi!

I finally fixed my trip to Okinawa I'll be staying in Miyakojima Paradise, special thanks to the user "sophieJP" for the hint

Thank you all very much for your help!