JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
AmyFoodie (Offline)
New to JF

book a hotel with a family of 4?! - 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM

It seems very difficult to get a hotel to not count your children over 12 as adults, which they then want you to book a second room for. I keep getting booted out of reservations when I book for 4 people, because most rooms seem to be for only 2 people. Am I missing something obvious here? I know in the US you can just sneak extra people into your room with out it really affecting the price.

Any help appreciated!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Try looking into a Japanese style room. In most western style hotels in Japan, the beds are really very very small and there is often barely enough room for double occupancy - let alone 4 people requiring sleeping space.
Japanese style hotels/inns, on the other hand, are usually a lot more flexible. The rooms are larger open spaces, and you can add further occupants by increasing the number of futons.

If you`re having this problem with expensive, top of the line hotels, then I am going to be as stumped as you - but in general when families travel in Japan they use Japanese style rooms. I mean, I`ve traveled with my husband, son, and his parents, grandmother, and sister - A total of 7 people (6 adults) and never encountered a problem finding a single room for us.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-15-2009, 01:46 AM

most hotels i've encountered so far have single or double room only so whenever we travel with more than 3 companions we usually get a japanese style room. be warned though that instead of bed they use futon and the room is mostly in tatami mat but it is a great experience and it has a bigger space than getting a room with a bed..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-15-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
most hotels i've encountered so far have single or double room only so whenever we travel with more than 3 companions we usually get a japanese style room. be warned though that instead of bed they use futon and the room is mostly in tatami mat but it is a great experience and it has a bigger space than getting a room with a bed..

Love the Tatami and Futon.. Ahhh...Japan

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AmyFoodie (Offline)
New to JF

05-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Thank you for the info! Any suggestions for places to stay in the Shibuya area of Tokyo? We're going in August which I keep reading is hot hot hot, so AC would be needed to keep whining down to a minimum. I am thinking we should have booked much earlier!

Last edited by AmyFoodie : 05-15-2009 at 04:22 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Japanese inns (ryokan) usually charge per person and will charge a 12 year as an adult. Rooms are generally 8 to 10 tatami mats so getting 4 people into 1 room will be tight.
There are not too many ryokans in Tokyo. You can see a short list at
Japanese Guest Houses - Tokyo Ryokan

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kiyoshiro (Offline)
New to JF

Shibuya hotel - 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM

Hi,
I recommend following hotels available for 4 persons.

Tokyu Hotels - Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu

Hotel (Room Charges)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFoodie View Post
Thank you for the info! Any suggestions for places to stay in the Shibuya area of Tokyo? We're going in August which I keep reading is hot hot hot, so AC would be needed to keep whining down to a minimum. I am thinking we should have booked much earlier!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
AmyFoodie (Offline)
New to JF

05-20-2009, 11:09 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions & help! My biggest problem is the date is approaching quickly and things are booked up.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sunset (Offline)
New to JF

i know - 05-31-2009, 05:57 AM

with the accor chain (ibis, novotel etc) they only charge per room not per person. in other countries we always get 2 double beds that does 4 of us (the 2 kids share a bed) not sure about japan but its worth trying....