JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2009, 10:05 PM

You can actually remove the third prong if you don't care about not having a 3 prong.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-23-2011, 11:52 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted some advice before I go to Japan.

Basically, I want to bring my hair straighteners, (yes I know), to Japan with me. I'm from the UK, so it has the three pronged type of plug - however when you open the UK plug, there is a European (I think) two pronged plug inside it.

So basically, it can either be:

Or:

Now, I want to be able to use it in Japan. The voltage of my hair straighteners is 110-230V. A.C is 60/50Hz, and it's 150W.

Can anyone recommend me or link me the type of plug or converter/transformer I need to be able to use them in Japan? The straighteners are very expensive so obviously I want to be careful with them

If all else fails, I might just buy some cheap ones in Japan, though I'd rather not as they'd be useless when I get home really. (And no I can't do without, I like to look half decent and my hair is a frizzbomb without them, hah.)
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 01:02 PM

This should do the trick or you could just buy one there like you mentioned.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-23-2011, 11:28 PM

The plugs in Japan are the same shape as those in the US - minus the third prong (ground) in older buildings. In other words, neither of the plug shapes will even fit into a Japanese plug.

The voltage in Japan is 100V, so even with a direct adapter you may encounter problems. I would not recommend using the type of thing Polar suggested with something that is not compatible with 100V. I doubt it would damage it at all, as the voltage is lower, not higher, but it may not work so you`d be stuck with a useless item.

My best advice is to pick up an inexpensive one in Japan - you`re likely to have no trouble finding one that will be able to be used back home (with a cheap plug adapter) as Japan makes so many products for export.
Or, to pick up a voltage adapter. Be careful to find one that is approved for use with heavy electricity consuming items like hair dryers and straighteners. The cheap ones usually don`t and will short if you try to use anything like that.

In the end, the price of a cheap straightener in Japan is probably going to be similar to the price of a quality voltage adapter.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Now, I want to be able to use it in Japan. The voltage of my hair straighteners is 110-230V. A.C is 60/50Hz, and it's 150W.
I took my straighteners to Japan with me; 220-240V 60/50Hz 35W, which plugged in with a simple plug converter and no transformer and they worked just fine. :/ Then again, mine were cheap so I didn't mind running the risk of exploding them. The only thing was i had to be careful to put the converter in the wall socket first and then plug the straighteners in or it would spark.

For a plug converter at least, you can pick up really cheap (like £3) universal converters at camping stores/travel stores/ airports, or use a uk-USA one (check it doesn't have that 3rd earth prong first). If you're going to buy a voltage transformer, get it in Japan because they're like putting hefty little bricks in your luggage.

The european fitting def. won't work; the prongs are the wrong shape.