(#11 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califer View Post
Wow! So much to see! Thanks! You've been a great help :3

Also, I'd really like to spot geisha's in Gion. I've heard you might see them in Gion around noon, aren't there geisha shows or something? Or organasations that give you the ability to meet maiko and take picture (omg real tourist here) and is there more to see in Gion?

I'd also like to see kabuki theatre, it is very expensive? I guess the best location to see a show is in Ginza right?
Go to Gion in the early evening. That is when the Maiko are going to work. Please be polite about taking photos and don't try to stop them, they are busy. There has been problems with tourist (including Japanese) taking their photos. Have fun!

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califer View Post
Wow! So much to see! Thanks! You've been a great help :3

Also, I'd really like to spot geisha's in Gion. I've heard you might see them in Gion around noon, aren't there geisha shows or something? Or organasations that give you the ability to meet maiko and take picture (omg real tourist here) and is there more to see in Gion?

I'd also like to see kabuki theatre, it is very expensive? I guess the best location to see a show is in Ginza right?
Go to Kyoto or Gion and you can spot Geisha and Maiko almost guaranteed. Their services can be rented, but it is very expensive, and not really a touristy thing. I don't know about "geisha shows". That would be what they do, but they are private affairs, like I mentioned.

I believe there is a Kabuki theater in Osaka...
(#13 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 07:26 PM

I went to Kabuki in Osaka, and it was the most boring thing I've done.

It was muggy, crowded and completely untranslatable... I don't even remember if it was expensive.

Luckily an old woman fanned me off the whole time
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
I went to Kabuki in Osaka, and it was the most boring thing I've done.

It was muggy, crowded and completely untranslatable... I don't even remember if it was expensive.

Luckily an old woman fanned me off the whole time
I kind of have to agree. I went to probably the same one, and I think we had a piece of paper that told us in English what the story was all about, but it was a little like watching a play in slow motion. I don't know how long it was, but it felt very long.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 09:01 PM

I cant remember what the place was called, but it was near Gion. This place combined many of the traditional Japanese arts in a convenient 1 hour show. They went through a tea ceremony, two people playing a stringed instument ( I think it was a koto), a traditional comedic play, ikebana, and Bunraku. Bunraku is the puppet show where there are three guys to a puppet, and they are all wearing black so its harder to see them. I though the show was pretty good, it was kind of a crash course in Traditional Japanese arts. Plus it was only an hour so it wont take up a whole day.

Edit: Ah, I found the place I went to. It is 7 different Japanese arts in an hour.

Gion Corner:Kyoto Traditional Musical Theatre

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.

Last edited by Barone1551 : 06-22-2009 at 09:03 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
I cant remember what the place was called, but it was near Gion. This place combined many of the traditional Japanese arts in a convenient 1 hour show. They went through a tea ceremony, two people playing a stringed instument ( I think it was a koto), a traditional comedic play, ikebana, and Bunraku. Bunraku is the puppet show where there are three guys to a puppet, and they are all wearing black so its harder to see them. I though the show was pretty good, it was kind of a crash course in Traditional Japanese arts. Plus it was only an hour so it wont take up a whole day.

Edit: Ah, I found the place I went to. It is 7 different Japanese arts in an hour.

Gion Corner:Kyoto Traditional Musical Theatre
That sounds like the perfect crash course for the MTV generation. Nice find!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
BjornTobyWilde (Offline)
New to JF

10 things to do in Osaka - 07-04-2009, 08:39 AM

Here's an article with a list of 10 things to do in Osaka.. They're all quite "touristy" though.

Guide books tend to gloss over Osaka but it's great to get around and there's loads to see. I'd avoid kabuki; I love the Umeda Sky Building and Den Den Town's a good place to go if you want to feel attractive!