JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Califer (Offline)
New to JF

Almost going to Tokyo and Kansai! - 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM

Hello,

I once made a topic about my future vacation to Japan! I’m now making my day planner, but I find it hard to fill out the days in Kyoto and Osaka. I’m staying one week in Tokyo, afterwards I will visit Hakone for Mt. Fuji and then I’ll stay in Kyoto for 5 days and 6 days for Osaka, I’ll end my vacation with 2 days in Tokyo (excl. travelling).

I find it really hard to get around in especially Osaka. I’m staying there because I’m hoping to meet an old friend and because the nightlife is absolutely super! (so I’ve heard). Still I don’t know what else to do there! Please help me and any other must-sees in Japan are very welcome because I want to go home with the idea that I’ve REALLY seen Japan. It’s a once in a life trip so I want to see as much as possible. I really want to explore the Kansai region, but there is too much to see, I don’t know where to start or what to choose! What I do know is that I want to spend one day in Hiroshima, that’s possible from Osaka or Kyoto right?

My interest are:
- History (mythology and culture)
- Fashion (though I probably see enough in the Tokyo shopping districts)
- Animation~
- Weird/cute Japanese thingies

I also enjoy the nightlife, but I don’t fancy going out with my dad all the times, since I’m taking this trip with him. My dads interest are more of the cultural stuff, seeing the scenery and history of the country. He’s also into electronics so that would be interesting for him.

Please help me! I already have some interesting tips so everything is welcome!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Osaka is just as hard to get around in as Tokyo. There is even a similar loop line that circles the city.

I don't know how old you are so am not sure what kind of nightlife you want, but there are tons of things to do

OSAKA
Osaka Science and Technology Museum
Osaka Castle
Namba District (Ame-mura, Nampa-bashi)
Shopping in Umeda

NARA
Nara Dai-butsu
Nara Park

KYOTO
Kinkakuji
Mount Kyoto
Monkey Mountain
Kyoto International Manga Museum

TAKARAZUKA
Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum

KOBE
Merikan Park
Old Foreigner's Homes tour
Aquarium at Suma

And that is just scratching the surface
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Califer (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2009, 09:07 PM

Turning 19 in July, thanks sounds good. Any more? Which temples should I definitly see in Kyoto?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califer View Post
Turning 19 in July, thanks sounds good. Any more? Which temples should I definitly see in Kyoto?
Kiyomizu is a must see.

Kiyomizudera (Pure Water Temple)

Also see Fushimi Inari which is a shinto shrine, as opposed to a Buddhist temple

Fushimi Inari Shrine - Kyoto, Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

06-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Maybe this website will Help ^_^
JAL Guide to Japan - OSAKA ( City Information )
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 05:06 AM

You might also want to visit Koya-san and Himeji Castle for the history/culture side, and walk through Den Den Town in Osaka for the electronics. American Mura is another place to see in Osaka.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Kiyomizu is a must see.

Kiyomizudera (Pure Water Temple)

Also see Fushimi Inari which is a shinto shrine, as opposed to a Buddhist temple

Fushimi Inari Shrine - Kyoto, Japan
Yes I would definitely recommend kiyomizudera, and monkey mountain. They both have amazing views.

Also Himeji castle is really cool, and Himeji itself was a pretty fun city. Pretty easy to get around in the main area. Plus the castle has a new garden that was very beautiful.

My personal favorite that was mentioned on here would have to be Daibutsu in Nara. The temple and Buddha were spectacular, and the deer outside were just as fun. Todaiji was another good one.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.

Last edited by Barone1551 : 06-22-2009 at 05:31 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-22-2009, 05:39 AM

We have similar tastes, Barone...I agree with you.

One note, Todaiji is the name of the temple that houses the Daibutsu, and I believe it is the largest wooden structure in Japan...or maybe the world.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
We have similar tastes, Barone...I agree with you.

One note, Todaiji is the name of the temple that houses the Daibutsu, and I believe it is the largest wooden structure in Japan...or maybe the world.
It seems we do MMM. Awesome! I agree with all of the ones that you suggested that if have been too. Although I haven't been to all of them.

Ah yes, my bad about todaiji. I was thinking of a different one in Nara, which has some of the oldest wooden buildings in the world. Horyu-ji is the name of it I think. Personally I would recommend Daibutsu over this one, that is if you can only go to one. But if your dad is into history and scenery Horyu-ji is pretty interesting. Plus the architecture here is amazing. And they even have a museum inside.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.

Last edited by Barone1551 : 06-22-2009 at 05:49 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Califer (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2009, 10:57 AM

Wow! So much to see! Thanks! You've been a great help :3

Also, I'd really like to spot geisha's in Gion. I've heard you might see them in Gion around noon, aren't there geisha shows or something? Or organasations that give you the ability to meet maiko and take picture (omg real tourist here) and is there more to see in Gion?

I'd also like to see kabuki theatre, it is very expensive? I guess the best location to see a show is in Ginza right?

Last edited by Califer : 06-22-2009 at 11:28 AM.