JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Chile Send a message via Skype™ to Chile
Toyo College - 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM

By the way, has anyone heard of Toyo college in Kobe?
I have been trying to find information, but their website is bare bones.
Waiting to hear back from them about an e-mail. In the meantime, does anyone know about it?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-09-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile View Post
I am beside myself here. Is it that I don't sound serious enough?
No, to be honest you are starting to sound a little fanatical and rude, though. Many of your long list of questions are addressed very thoroughly in these very forums. These are common questions here, and people don't mind answering people who appreciate it.

I am not sure what your actual problem is. Universities have housing. They have staff to assist international students. Your first and only concern should getting into a school. Until that happens nothing else matters.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No, to be honest you are starting to sound a little fanatical and rude, though. Many of your long list of questions are addressed very thoroughly in these very forums. These are common questions here, and people don't mind answering people who appreciate it.

I am not sure what your actual problem is. Universities have housing. They have staff to assist international students. Your first and only concern should getting into a school. Until that happens nothing else matters.
MMM, I don't think Chile is a native English speaker by the patterns of writing. Maybe he(or she I'm not sure) is just not expressing themself to us in a way which we can understand.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I do not have any problem with English speaking schools in Japan. Or American schools. My problem is that my actual problem is not being addressed. I must not have specified earlier - I have been researching all manner of schooling in Japan. Of course no university would accept me into a degree program without first speaking the language, and passing the entrance examination(s). My expectations are not fantastical. I simply desire to live in another country - and am looking for advice. I am beside myself here. Is it that I don't sound serious enough?
I would appreciate a strong, informational response to the post I started this thread with. If you do not have anything to contribute towards that particular discussion, please save your comments for the members of this forum who are milking their nuts over the latest manga.
MMM, then again maybe not. I missed the last part trying to understand the first.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
I do not have any problem with English speaking schools in Japan. Or American schools. My problem is that my actual problem is not being addressed. I must not have specified earlier - I have been researching all manner of schooling in Japan. Of course no university would accept me into a degree program without first speaking the language, and passing the entrance examination(s). My expectations are not fantastical. I simply desire to live in another country - and am looking for advice. I am beside myself here. Is it that I don't sound serious enough?
I would appreciate a strong, informational response to the post I started this thread with. If you do not have anything to contribute towards that particular discussion, please save your comments for the members of this forum who are milking their nuts over the latest manga.
o_O Whoa, my friend. Whoa. I strongly suggest that you don't get sucked into this forum's popular trend of holier-than-thou attitude, especially when you're asking for advice.

You say you want advice for living in another country. There are countless threads dedicated to just that. I think that MMM and I naturally assumed you wanted advice about universities since that's the only thing you've given specific details about. You haven't even asked any specific questions. What do you want advice about? It's hard to give advice when people don't even know where to start. There are many aspects to student life in Japan.

LOVE: pass it on
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Chile Send a message via Skype™ to Chile
07-09-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
o_O Whoa, my friend. Whoa. I strongly suggest that you don't get sucked into this forum's popular trend of holier-than-thou attitude, especially when you're asking for advice.

You say you want advice for living in another country. There are countless threads dedicated to just that. I think that MMM and I naturally assumed you wanted advice about universities since that's the only thing you've given specific details about. You haven't even asked any specific questions. What do you want advice about? It's hard to give advice when people don't even know where to start. There are many aspects to student life in Japan.
I see what you mean. I had thought that I asked specific questions, but I suppose not. =\ I by no means want to adopt that negative, and very usual, forum mentality.
To be honest I have found MMM's attitude to be holier-than-thou, but I have undoubtedly misread between the lines. For some reason I have felt like I need to be on the defensive, since reading his responses. Plenty of it, I'm sure, is fueled by my anxieties about this situation. I can not describe my feelings of urgency or concern - nor my motivations. I'm not sure that a forum is the place to get into any of that to begin with.
It is difficult to get a good feel for people online. I, myself, have a lot of difficulty conveying things on a forum.
Maybe I should ask myself what I'm doing here! Har.

I don't know where to start! I have a lot of questions about life in Japan.
I am especially concerned about financial expectations. I want to live a very basic life, I do not want any more extraneous expenses than can be helped.
Student loans are a topsy turvy thing right now, and I can only rely on them so far...
I do appreciate the information about university. I had not heard of Temple university, and will be looking into it! Trouble is, university is about the only thing I know anything about. I've been reading the forums up and down (as much as a person can in two days, with a busy schedule), but maybe I have missed some important details? I don't wish to repeat anything unnecessarily.
The biggest issue here is that I have no idea what to consider when planning to leave your country for long-term residence elsewhere. I've focused primarily on schools, because that is what I know. Being someone without money, I certainly won't be able to lead a life of leisure and tourism. Nor would I want to, necessarily.

I will spend more time checking out the forums before starting any new threads. I regret it becoming this ridiculous. I'm a prideful girl. :3
Something I'm working on growing out of.

Thanks for your patience. I'll look forward to seeing you around the forums.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-09-2009, 06:29 AM

I only sound "holier-than-thou" when I give an answer you don't want to hear.

I will never purposely mislead or discourage. I have been a student of Japanese for almost 20 years. I have been to Japan more times than I know and lived there for several years.

If you ask I will tell you what I think. Do with it what you wish. i won't always be right, but I will tell you what my perspective is.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I see what you mean. I had thought that I asked specific questions, but I suppose not. =\ I by no means want to adopt that negative, and very usual, forum mentality.
To be honest I have found MMM's attitude to be holier-than-thou, but I have undoubtedly misread between the lines. For some reason I have felt like I need to be on the defensive, since reading his responses. Plenty of it, I'm sure, is fueled by my anxieties about this situation. I can not describe my feelings of urgency or concern - nor my motivations. I'm not sure that a forum is the place to get into any of that to begin with.
It is difficult to get a good feel for people online. I, myself, have a lot of difficulty conveying things on a forum.
Maybe I should ask myself what I'm doing here! Har.

I don't know where to start! I have a lot of questions about life in Japan.
I am especially concerned about financial expectations. I want to live a very basic life, I do not want any more extraneous expenses than can be helped.
Student loans are a topsy turvy thing right now, and I can only rely on them so far...
I do appreciate the information about university. I had not heard of Temple university, and will be looking into it! Trouble is, university is about the only thing I know anything about. I've been reading the forums up and down (as much as a person can in two days, with a busy schedule), but maybe I have missed some important details? I don't wish to repeat anything unnecessarily.
The biggest issue here is that I have no idea what to consider when planning to leave your country for long-term residence elsewhere. I've focused primarily on schools, because that is what I know. Being someone without money, I certainly won't be able to lead a life of leisure and tourism. Nor would I want to, necessarily.

I will spend more time checking out the forums before starting any new threads. I regret it becoming this ridiculous. I'm a prideful girl. :3
Something I'm working on growing out of.

Thanks for your patience. I'll look forward to seeing you around the forums.
lol yeah, don't worry. You're not the only one who has thought that. I've learned that the best thing is just to ignore that kind of attitude instead of respond to it.

Anywho, I appreciate this response. It's very mature. =) I think that once you start to look specifically at one school, other questions will come. For example, you're not too sure about finances. Once you figure out what school to look at, you can see the school's tuition. Most schools also offer a kind of estimate on what kind of money you'll need to bring - whether it be for textbooks, money for food, transportation, etc. So, if you're definitiely interested in Temple University Japan, then I suggest that you research that school so that you can figure out your specific questions.

LOVE: pass it on
(#19 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 12:43 PM

yeah what youre asking is pretty broad and very hard to answer, otherwise i'm sure you would have figured it out yourself already.

mercedesjin makes a good point, figure out which uni you want to go to first. that then will determine everything else as, obviously a uni in tokyo will be much more expensive to live through than university of inaka.

if you prefer to study in english, thereby getting rid of one of your obstacles, i would have a look at the universities in nagasaki. i met a guy at my japanese class who studies there and he said they get lectured in english.

other than that, japan is a first world nation, so pretty much everything you want you can find, how much it will cost you however is something else entirely. besides personal luxuries, get your medical stuff in order if you need to.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Chile, you find MMM holier than thou? I think not. He knows more about Japan than I do and I lived there 3 years. If anyone try's to help answer questions open and honestly it's him. What do you want? One of us to enroll you, book your flight, get an apartment for you too? When I went to Japan no one helped me. My company picked me up at the airport and dumped me at my apartment without telling me anything about how things worked. It was winter still and I froze because no one explained how the heating worked. The next day they came and took me to my office on the subway. They left me there and I had to find my way home in a city where I never had been before. When I found my subway stop, I didn't know the exits could put you out on a whole different street. Of course I went out the wrong one and spent 3 hours, jet lagged and tired, looking for my apartment.
My point is that in Japan you are going to have to be self sufficient. You won't have as much help as you think you might. Japanese are helpful, but if you can't communicate with them you are on your own.
As for the quote above, do you think anyone would want to help you after you wrote that? It is very rude. If anyone would overlook that and still help you it's MMM. Be careful whose toes you step on.