JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
Some general Qs about living in Japan - 07-10-2009, 09:34 AM

Hello. I'm going to Fukuoka ken August 1st to stay in Japan for a year.
I have some general concerns that I haven't found an answer for yet.

1. I have a credit card, but might there be a problem with withdrawing money in Japan? A significant charge? Should I rely on some other way of getting money? I don't want to bring a lot of money with me on my journey there.

2. I'm a vegan. How difficult do you think it is to find totally animal-free food in Japan, not necessarily in the city. I'll be staying outside Fukuoka ken in a smallish town. Will there be shops where I can buy things like soya milk and butter etc?

Thanks in advance!

Matt, England
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Are you going on the JET program, or do you have another job? If so, after the 1st month, your salary should suffice, rather than your credit card. I never used my credit card there, I took traveler's checks for the 1st month. Most places won't accept credit cards, and I never used to ATMs there for anything other than withdrawing cash from my account, so I have no idea about credit card charges there. You could simply take cash if you want, Japan is very safe, but Traveler's checks would be safer.

Most restaurants aren't going to have vegan food. If you say "no meat", they'll usually still think fish, eggs, milk, etc are ok. Some monks are vegetarian or vegan, you might try to befriend them and ask if they know any places to eat that do it. Otherwise, cooking for yourself is the best way to be sure, if it's important to you.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply, Samurai!

I'm going on a working holiday visa which allows me to do part time work. I'll ask about traveler's cheques. I hear various advice from different people on this so it's confusing. Do you think I could bring about 70k+ yen through customs?

Yes I think I will get that response in restaurants. I plan to cook for myself mainly. My homestay family is going to charge me per meal anyway so better to feed myself.

3. Is there much free wi-fi in main cities in Japan?

Thanks again.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 04:22 PM

3. Pretty much every McDonalds in Tokyo offers free Wifi
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 04:51 PM

When I was there a couple of us had no problems using our debit cards at ATM's. There wasnt a huge charge, only the normal amount that we got in the US. A few things about that though, make sure you have a card tied to your name. I had a debit card, that was a gift card. It was pre-loaded and just said gift card on it. I couldn't get money from the card, I could use it at stores and restaurants that accepted credit cards. Also, our cards only worked at international ATM's. There were many that the cards wouldnt work at. All of the post offices and banks we went to had international ATM's so they weren't hard to find.

About the food. I dont think it would be too hard to eat vegan. I know a girl who has been there, and is going there for a year on JET and she is a vegan. Your food may get repetitive though, but it shouldn't be impossible. From what I saw your probably going to be eating a steady diet of rice, noodles (soba, ramen, udon), and some tofu. Almost every noodle place has dishes with just noodles. Curry with veggies and rice would work too. I honestly dont think you will have any problem not eating meat.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Wow thanks Darone and Polar! Really helpful info.
Oh btw I forgot to use the search function so sorry if stuff is repeated.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Vegan means no animal fat/oils right?It has been pointed out before that you still might find fish paste in miso soup or animal oils used in vegetable tempura, so although being a vegetarian in Japan might not be hard, it will be hard to eat out and be vegan.

So you have a host family that charges by the meal? Never heard that one before.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Yeah I know. About £6 per meal ($10). Doesn't matter so much as the lady doesn't know about veganism so I'll be making my own food anyway.

I have to pay for internet per hour as well, is that usual?

Yes I think there're numerous ways I could find difficulty with being vegan. Although they're similar problems that I have in England. I'm not allergic to these things so I will have to be flexible on occasions.

Thanks for your reply, MMM. Did you get my PM?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-10-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post
Yeah I know. About £6 per meal ($10). Doesn't matter so much as the lady doesn't know about veganism so I'll be making my own food anyway.

I have to pay for internet per hour as well, is that usual?

Yes I think there're numerous ways I could find difficulty with being vegan. Although they're similar problems that I have in England. I'm not allergic to these things so I will have to be flexible on occasions.

Thanks for your reply, MMM. Did you get my PM?
That sounds unusual to me. Sounds like they are in it for the money and not the experience...do they know you plan on cooking your own meals?

I didn't get any PMs, sorry.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Wow -- a homestay where they make you pay? That kind of defeats the whole purpose.