JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

Osaka or Tokyo? - 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM

hey people i am planning a trip to Japan and was pondering whether to go to Osaka or to revisit Tokyo?If someone who has been to Osaka,Please i would love to hear more about it.

Thanks in advance=),Cheers
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-14-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
hey people i am planning a trip to Japan and was pondering whether to go to Osaka or to revisit Tokyo?If someone who has been to Osaka,Please i would love to hear more about it.

Thanks in advance=),Cheers
What are you interested to see? Osaka is very similar to Tokyo, with different scenes, and really good food. The atmosphere at Dotonbori and namba isn't something that you can find in Tokyo. If you've been to Tokyo before, you should consider going to Osaka instead as its a great alternative, also offer you easy access to Himeji, Kobe, Nara and Kyoto
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
07-14-2009, 04:59 PM

I would suggest Osaka since you used the word "revisit" which suggest you have already been to Tokyo try to broaden out a bit. There scenic views and parts of Japanese culture that are unique to Osaka.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Yeah, Osaka is great, but the best thing about it is the location. Tokyo doesn't have all that many nearby places to visit, but Osaka is surrounded with great places like Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Koya-san, etc.

I'd definitely say Osaka and surrounding areas over Tokyo.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Osaka was my favorite city -- because the food is great, it has a seemingly more laidback atmosphere, and its close to things like Nara, Himeji, Kyoto, etc.

Why not go to both?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Yeah, Osaka is great, but the best thing about it is the location. Tokyo doesn't have all that many nearby places to visit, but Osaka is surrounded with great places like Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Koya-san, etc.

I'd definitely say Osaka and surrounding areas over Tokyo.
Sorry for basically saying the same thing you just did, I didn't mean to copycat (I just didn't read your post)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Osaka was my favorite city -- because the food is great, it has a seemingly more laidback atmosphere, and its close to things like Nara, Himeji, Kyoto, etc.

Why not go to both?
Agreed in full. Its a great city. Osaka was very close to being my favorite city that I visitied. There was lots to do, great food and shopping. It also has the advantage of being semi close to Kyoto which was my favorite city. Himeji was great, smaller town with an awesome castle. And nara has my favorite temple in it. So I think Osaka would be a great choice.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Sorry for basically saying the same thing you just did, I didn't mean to copycat (I just didn't read your post)
That's fine, godwine said it first, I just felt it needed to be repeated, as did Barone! LOL, it is the big main difference between Tokyo and Osaka... the surrounding areas. Tokyo has Nikko, Hakone, and maybe a few other things not too far away, but nothing like the rich historical environment in the Kansai region.

If all the OP wants is partying, shopping, etc, then Tokyo probably beats Osaka. But if seeing temples, castles, statues, parks, etc is of interest to you, the Kansai area wins easily.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 01:22 AM

Osaka people are more friendly too.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-15-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
That's fine, godwine said it first, I just felt it needed to be repeated, as did Barone! LOL, it is the big main difference between Tokyo and Osaka... the surrounding areas. Tokyo has Nikko, Hakone, and maybe a few other things not too far away, but nothing like the rich historical environment in the Kansai region.

If all the OP wants is partying, shopping, etc, then Tokyo probably beats Osaka. But if seeing temples, castles, statues, parks, etc is of interest to you, the Kansai area wins easily.
On top of that, there are also other surroundings that is similar to Nikko and Hakone in Osaka... Hakone gives you access to Fuji, which Osaka doesn't have, but then, people like me who go to Hakone just for the Onsen resort, there are other alternatives around Osaka. While Nikko, well, just say the historic sites are different.

For Party, Osaka still ahve a few good spots, or he can always hop over to Kobe...

maybe if he is staying for more than 10 days, then he can just do both...