JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Tokyo (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/26665-tokyo.html)

jayjay007 07-21-2009 02:47 PM

Tokyo

Hi

I am traveling to Tokyo from the UK for the first time in September, staying in Shinjuku, and would like to know what you consider the top 3 places to visit are. :mtongue:

Many thanks

samurai007 07-21-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayjay007 (Post 749932)
Hi

I am traveling to Tokyo from the UK for the first time in September, staying in Shinjuku, and would like to know what you consider the top 3 places to visit are. :mtongue:

Many thanks

Depends upon what you like... if you find temples to be boring, then Nikko may not be for you. If you have no interest in seeing cosplayers, then Harajuku is not for you. And so on...

Personally, I love seeing ornate temples and don't care about cosplayers, so what I suggest may not be what you'd like.

godwine 07-21-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Hi

Many thanks

How long are you going for? What is your budget? And as per Samurai 007, what do you like to see?

Ninjaselo 07-30-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Hi

Many thanks

jayjay007, are you going for Tokyo Game Show 09? If so, what dates will you be there?

I will be there between 22 sept - 2 oct. It will be my first time in Tokyo so I also want some advice (where to visit). I mostly like technology and console gaming so to see some cosplayers will be ok for me. I can also visit some temples when I'm there.

Polar 07-30-2009 02:39 PM

Meiji Jingu is quite close to Shinjuku station maybe a 20 min walk and a fantastic Shinto shrine if you get there around 7:45 - 8:00 am you'll see the priests.

You'll obviously want to hit Akibahara however keep in mind it's really over priced and you can find games far cheaper elsewhere.

Where are you staying in Shinjuku ? I was just there in March.

MMM 07-30-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 749970)
Depends upon what you like... if you find temples to be boring, then Nikko may not be for you. If you have no interest in seeing cosplayers, then Harajuku is not for you. And so on...

Personally, I love seeing ornate temples and don't care about cosplayers, so what I suggest may not be what you'd like.

Ironically, the nicest temple in Tokyo is just a few steps from Harajuku Station.

sarasi 07-31-2009 08:16 AM

There is way more to Harajuku than just cosplayers. I couldn't care less about cosplayers, but there is plenty in Harajuku to keep me occupied. It's Meiji Shrine that's near Harajuku station, and it's a bit of a walk away because the approach is quite long- I suppose you could call that a few steps, relatively speaking though- or did you mean a Buddhist temple somewhere nearby, MMM? I can't think of one.

MMM 08-02-2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarasi (Post 754987)
There is way more to Harajuku than just cosplayers. I couldn't care less about cosplayers, but there is plenty in Harajuku to keep me occupied. It's Meiji Shrine that's near Harajuku station, and it's a bit of a walk away because the approach is quite long- I suppose you could call that a few steps, relatively speaking though- or did you mean a Buddhist temple somewhere nearby, MMM? I can't think of one.

You are right, it is Meiji Shrine, not temple, and at least the entrance is a few steps from the station.