JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
A warning to happy-go-lucky travellers - 08-19-2009, 05:47 AM

For a long while I'd wanted to go to Japan, to just be there.

I was never a total japanophile, but I certainly exhibited some of the key traits of one: generalisation of Japan and Japanese culture, desire and sincere appreciation of an entire country and people without direct experience of such, etc.

A few months ago I dropped out of university but didn't care because I had started planning to go to Japan. I'd been studying Japanese for a few years with positive results and made up my mind that I now wanted to become fluent in the fastest way I could think of, going to live there.

Since I just left uni and had no job I wanted to get going there as fast as possible, so I applied for a working holiday visa and started contacting a homestay organisation.

My friend said I might be better off just going there as a tourist to see if I actually liked living there, but I brushed them off thinking that it was a done deal and I'd just have to bite the bullet to acheive my dream ASAP.

However I've now ended up in a location I really dislike and with a family I find difficult to live with all month, and have decided to return to England at the start of the next month.

I just wanted to write a short post imploring people who have the same desire I had to thoroughly and prepare and consider what might happen to them and what they will do in Japan once they get there.

MMM said 'Japan isn't a giant amusement park'. I have found truth in these words.

Please everyone throroughly research the area you're going to and plan cautiously and short-term, at least to begin with. Do not arrange to stay anywhere for up to a month unless maybe it's with friends.

I'm not looking for a fight. If this advice can help anyone enjoy their experience of Japan any better that would be satisfactory.

Feel free to ask me any Qs about my experience as I've written a lot already.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SvanteH (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2009, 06:19 AM

That's a very interesting point of view that really puts your head into place. After listening to what e.g you and MMM said I definitely would like to visit Japan ASAP for the simple reason I might be wasting three years of my life studying of a candidate in Japanese studies.

I think most people have this idea in their head that Japan is some magical country where everything is just great.

Svante

I'm tired in doing nothing, so I think I'll start doing something ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post

I was never a total japanophile, but I certainly exhibited some of the key traits of one: generalisation of Japan and Japanese culture, desire and sincere appreciation of an entire country and people without direct experience of such, etc.

A few months ago I dropped out of university but didn't care because I had started planning to go to Japan. I'd been studying Japanese for a few years with positive results and made up my mind that I now wanted to become fluent in the fastest way I could think of, going to live there.

Since I just left uni and had no job I wanted to get going there as fast as possible, so I applied for a working holiday visa and started contacting a homestay organisation.

My friend said I might be better off just going there as a tourist to see if I actually liked living there, but I brushed them off thinking that it was a done deal and I'd just have to bite the bullet to acheive my dream ASAP.

However I've now ended up in a location I really dislike and with a family I find difficult to live with all month, and have decided to return to England at the start of the next month.

I just wanted to write a short post imploring people who have the same desire I had to thoroughly and prepare and consider what might happen to them and what they will do in Japan once they get there.

MMM said 'Japan isn't a giant amusement park'. I have found truth in these words.

Please everyone throroughly research the area you're going to and plan cautiously and short-term, at least to begin with. Do not arrange to stay anywhere for up to a month unless maybe it's with friends.

I'm not looking for a fight. If this advice can help anyone enjoy their experience of Japan any better that would be satisfactory.

So, would you mind sharing where you are living in Japan and what you don't like about it?

As for the family, I'll bet they are very strict, very cautious, and very concerned for your safety and well-being... that is typical of Japanese host parents, because they tend to take the responsibility VERY seriously... You won't be allowed to stay out late, drink, smoke, party, or just go somewhere all day or all weekend without supervision, even if you are old enough to do so in your home country. Am I right?

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-19-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
So, would you mind sharing where you are living in Japan and what you don't like about it?

As for the family, I'll bet they are very strict, very cautious, and very concerned for your safety and well-being... that is typical of Japanese host parents, because they tend to take the responsibility VERY seriously... You won't be allowed to stay out late, drink, smoke, party, or just go somewhere all day or all weekend without supervision, even if you are old enough to do so in your home country. Am I right?
Whatever the circumstances of his situation the OP's advice is sound at least.

Concerning the family... homestaying is always a bit of a risk. I mean I've heard about more good experiences than bad ones but you should be ready and have a plan in case things not work out.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Thank you for posting this experience. I am sorry you actually had to live it, but I hope others take this post seriously and plan accordingly.

As I, Nyororin, and many others have posted in the past...Japan isn't going anywhere. Japan will be ready for you the second you step off the plane. The important thing is for you to be ready for Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post

Sorry to hear about your negative experience, we shape our lives from our experieince, this experieince will definitely make you stronger and make "wiser" choice in a long run

I hope this post is going to help people that is fascinated about japan for its subcultural, at least realize that its not an easy thing to just "pack and go" and live in a country.....
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
08-20-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post

Sorry I thought I'd said a lot and risked creating a tl;dr-wall.

I've been living in Iizuka city in Fukuoka prefecture. It was actually a total mistake on my part that I came here. I asked the homestay organisation to look for a family in Fukuoka because I thought this would just mean the city, and I thought that my friend lived there too. I knew about prefectures I just wasn't specific. But it turned out they sent me to a different city in the area, way away from my friend.

I also found out that Japanese cities are not like English cities. Iizuka is pretty rural, with few of the ammenities you could expect if you live in a city in the US or UK. My main hobbies at home are doing pretty much everything on the internet and doing things with my friends, both of which were totally impossible in Iizuka.

Oh also my family is a bit different from perhaps what you're picturing, samurai. The wife works weekdays and doesnt have a spare key, or want me to stay inside, so I have to be out all day. I just give odd English lessons in the evening so I usually had nothing to do until I discovered things.

The classes have been fun but they've made it difficult as well because I now have to wait until I complete my obligation to do them before I can leave the area.

I could groan on for ages about how everything was awful but basicly I just wanted to say to people: plan your trip thoroughly, dont leave much to chance because it's a tricky situation to pull out of.

To be honest, if I had gone to Fukuoka city and lived with a more relaxed family I would probably have been having a better time. But still I think I came with insufficient preparation because of my naivety.

If you wanna know more specific stuff just ask.
Oh I'm moving into a hostel in the city on the 25th, so don't worry about me or anything lol.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
08-20-2009, 04:21 AM

Sorry to hear your Story, i hope it will help others to be better prepared.
I also went there with a Working Holiday Visa and stayed the first month with a Family in the outskirts of Tokyo. My family was great and i really enjoyed the time i spend there.
Japan is no wonderland but you can have a good time. My advise would be not to leave the country so fast. Try to stay in Fukuoka and get a job there. Live in a Boarder House and meet many people. I lived in a shared House in Tokyo for 2 month during winter and i had a great time, even so it was expensive (Fukuoka might be cheaper). I met alot of good people there and there was always smething going on. If you keep teaching english you shouldnt have such a big problem with money if you are a bit carefull and in Fukuoka you can maybe give private lessons.
I stayed there he full year and i had hard times to. It is not always easy to live there and it is an expensive country to travel. Somehow i managed to se every corner of Japan but i did bring alot of savings from home and lived life on the cheap.

So my advide: Fukuoka is a great city with lots of fun things to do, give it another try for a month or two.

To all the others: Prepare before you got there, bring a bit of savings and visit before you decide to stay!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-20-2009, 06:28 AM

You are feeling what a lot of newcomers feel when they experience living in a foreign country for the first time. When I say "foreign", I don't simply mean a different country, but one in which the culture and lifestyle are much different than what we are used to.

One month isn't really much time to form an opinion. Things may not seem so good now, but if you were to stay a few more months, you might find yourself beginning to like your surroundings.

I live and work in a rural area about an hour from Tokyo. It's certainly not a very glamorous place. About one-third of the shops are vacant, the train station is ancient, the greater number of the houses are old and in poor repair. The town is surrounded by rice fields and farms, and most people might find it incredibly boring.

I wasn't very impressed when I first arrived here. But in time I began to meet new people, make a few friends, and explore my surroundings. I found that the beach was close enough to get to on bicycle, and that the small mountains overlooking the town were very scenic, and fun to hike. I began cycling, surfing, and hiking as a way to pass my extra time. I also got back into photography, which is something I hadn't practiced for years.

After 2 years the town appears no different from when I first arrived. But I am comfortable and happy here, and, when an opportunity finally came to move to Tokyo to live and work, I didn't take it.

I find country life much more enjoyable. I like the sounds of the insects, frogs, and birds. I like the smell of the smoke when the farmers are burning weeds. I like the fresh food and vegetables, which are better and less expensive than what's available in Tokyo. Another point is the super-low cost of living. On my teacher's salary, I make enough money that I can afford to live pretty much anywhere in the city that I like.

If I want to see the city, Tokyo is only an hour away by bus, and I usually go to the city every weekend.

For me, things turned out much more differently than I expected. I grew to enjoy living in a place I originally disliked. The town is having it's annual festival on Saturday, and crews have been hanging up lanterns up and down the street. There will be food, games, music, and dancing. After the festival will be a fireworks show. The day after the festival I will go surfing with friends, after which I will take the bus to Tokyo to do some shopping and picture taking. I'm having fun in Japan, and I have no regrets about moving here.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Definitely a one sided view here.

I found some hated it, other's didn't, some can crack it, other's cannot.

I knew a few that had to egt out after a year, I stayed six and it took me two to crack it. After that, it was all plain sailing and a lot of fun.

A lot of feelings can be brought on by one's own personality. An outgoing personality in Japan as a foreigner will make you popular. A sensitive and serious person will have problem's, although I have know some insecure and un-popular types that fitted in well.

As Ronin says, homestay is a gamble in any country and I have know many a student and working holiday visa makes in Australia who have both loved and hated homestay families.

You really have to have an EXTREMELY open mind to live in Japan and don't take things to personally.

It is a difficult place to live, but that open mind and positive attitude will work wonders.

I lived in a suburb of Kyoto city named Fushimi Momoyama. It was a very proud resident type of place and people were not friendly to say the least.
As the years went on, I was recognized, not only for my good looks , but also for my honesty which started to make me sorta famous in the suburb. It became a lot of fun.

Cheers - Oz