JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DG12487 (Offline)
New to JF

How To Carry Currency In Japan ???? - 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM

Hi I Live In California Usa. I Am Going To Japan In March. I Am Going To Take Cash With Me And Exchange It There But When Or If I Run Out Where Can I Be Able To Pull Out Cash If I Need To ??

Thank You For Your Help
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-15-2009, 07:21 PM

I would say to carry cash mostly, but you can pull money out of international atms, which most post offices have. You will need a debit card with your name on it and tied to an account.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG12487 View Post
Hi I Live In California Usa. I Am Going To Japan In March. I Am Going To Take Cash With Me And Exchange It There But When Or If I Run Out Where Can I Be Able To Pull Out Cash If I Need To ??

Thank You For Your Help
1) Exchange it at your bank in the US before you travel. It will just be one less thing you have to do and you might need money the moment you get off the plane (a drink, train tickets, etc.)

2) Bring a credit card. They work almost anywhere, so if you feel you might run out of money you can use the credit card for purchases and meals.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DG12487 (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Thank You Very Much For You Reply Very Use Full
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-16-2009, 12:12 AM

Cash is easy to carry, you shouldn't have to worry about getting robbed (unless you get very drunk in Roppongi). You'll probably find that your ATM card will not work in convenience store ATM machines, as well as many of the ATM machines in train stations and such. The only reliable ATM machines are at the post office.

Credit cards are widely accepted in Japan, but nowhere on the same scale as in America. A surprisingly large number of shops and restaurants will not accept them, neither will convenience stores, with the exception of Lawson.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-16-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Thank You For Your Help
WTF?

Why are all your words capitalized...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Prestwick (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2009, 03:08 AM

I always saw Japan as a national version of Marks & Spencers (a major department store in the UK where they refused to take credit cards until the late 1990s). Things have changed in the past few years and as I work for Visa, I'm seeing that contactless and mobile payment seems to be overtaking credit cards in Japan, especially in Tokyo. But you still have to be careful not to be caught without any cold hard cash.

I never had any issues with carrying £200 worth of cash in my wallet. It did make me feel really rich when I was getting the wonga out, haha.

I did take travellers cheques but the hassle was so phenominally retarded that I gave up and just relied on my student loan that had just come in (£2000 interest free, thank you very much!) and withdrew from that. Basically at one point, I had to resign one travellers cheque about twelve times because the signatures did not match perfectly which was immensely embarrasing.

So:
  1. If you want to use credit, keep some cash on you just in case.
  2. Just carry cash and use Post Office and Citibank ATMs
  3. Travellers Cheques may be more hassle than they're worth.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DG12487 (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2009, 04:44 PM

Thanks For Your Information. Ima Be There For About 6 Night How Much Should I Bring???i Plan To Bring $2000 In Cash And Have $4000 In The Bank As A Back Up. But If Its A Hassel To Get It Out Of A Bank Id Rather Just Bring It All With Me Some How
(#9 (permalink))
Old
DG12487 (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
WTF?

Why are all your words capitalized...
BECAUSE IM AT WORK AND WHEN I DID THIS AND I TYPE IN CAPS AT WORK FOR THE FORMS I MAKE. SORRY ABOUT THAT
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks For Your Information. Ima Be There For About 6 Night How Much Should I Bring???i Plan To Bring $2000 In Cash And Have $4000 In The Bank As A Back Up. But If Its A Hassel To Get It Out Of A Bank Id Rather Just Bring It All With Me Some How
Unless you plan on going to every cabaret and hostess bar in Shinjuku, $2000 dollars should be well more than enough to last you. Tokyo is expensive, but not THAT expensive.