JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kolossus (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kolossus
What's a good guide book? - 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM

I'll be in Osaka and surrounding cities. I'll also be in Tokyo and i was wondering if any of you could recommend a good guide book.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-25-2009, 01:31 PM

well, i used the Lonely Planet in Japan and i think its quite good. I can only recommend the Lonely Planet Japan.
I think there is a version for Tokyo only, might be worth a look as well!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MC9876 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-25-2009, 02:15 PM

I've got and used the Tokyo one, and it's really good. I would recommend it if you stay more then about 10 days or so.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
aussielung (Offline)
New to JF

11-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Third vote for Lonely Planet guide. I have the Tokyo Encounters book and they published a Japan book as well as an Osaka book (I think). There cheap and quite in depth.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-06-2009, 01:47 PM

I've travelled a lot and Lonely Planet are about the best with Rough Guide coming up a very close second. Certainly I tend to get the Rough Guide if I can't get LP for some reason. Definitely for little city guides, Lonely Planet seems to have the edge, so you really can't go wrong with it.

Don't get too chained to the travel books through; there are some really delightful places hiding all over Japan that you'd only ever find by simply wandering about.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Lonely Planet sucks. It's the McDonald's of guide books but is written (or was15 years ago anyway) in a condescending, sometimes insulting, tone.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
Lonely Planet sucks. It's the McDonald's of guide books but is written (or was15 years ago anyway) in a condescending, sometimes insulting, tone.
There IS the problem that everyone buys them and sticks to the same information, so you do have a point, but they seem to have new writers and update almost yearly, so I can't say i've ever found them condescending or insulting.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2009, 02:57 PM

I found the LP guide to have some good maps but found the writting a little dry. I also had a Time Out Tokyo guide which I found more use for, subway map and other maps plus it would fit in a pants pocket and had photos of the places it talked about. Which was far more usefull then just an address.