JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MexDude (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to MexDude
Suggestions for Tokyo trip - 11-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Hello, well I am planing on taking a trip to Tokyo. Pretty much just spend christmas over there and was hoping you guys could provide me with some points of interests and activities. Like your must to do list while in tokyo sort of thing. I am a pretty open minded person and willing to try something at least once in my life. Any suggestions will be welcomed thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

11-03-2009, 01:51 PM

Hi there,
I haven't visited Tokyo so far but i know the most important monuments there. This is a list of the places you MUST visit if you go there (sorry i cannot help ya a lot coz my knowledge of the city is quite limited):
Asakusa Temple
Tokyo Tower
Tokyo international museum
The imperial palace
Those are the most 'essential' places to visit. If you like shopping, i recommend ya to go to Ginza, Shibuya and Shinjuku... and to Akiharaba which is Japan's premier shopping district.
There are a huge amount of places to visit which I couldn't include in this post. Tokyo is full of attractions.... plus, there are lots of buddhist temples and shinto shrines which ya can visit if u like to~~ I cannot list oll of them here but some of them are:
Takaosan
Sensoji Temple
Meiji Shrine
Sengakuji Temple
Zojoji Temple
Yasukuni Shrine......

I am sure that you'll like Tokyo so much, I guess it is really nice and my dream is to visit it once^^I wish ya a nice trip!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Hatsuo11 has never been to Japan..

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Hatsuo11 has never been to Japan..
That's him, though. It's like me giving travel advice on Manchester! I've never been there but I could gather a few lines of information from the internet!

The bastard once even offered to teach me Japanese in a PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cosmicenema (Offline)
JF Regular

11-03-2009, 08:53 PM

What are you interested in doing? The shopping on Tokyo is world class and there really are some fun shrines if you'd like. We went in the fall for our first time and had no issues spending two weeks in Tokyo. Every day was something new and fun.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-03-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
That's him, though. It's like me giving travel advice on Manchester! I've never been there but I could gather a few lines of information from the internet!

The bastard once even offered to teach me Japanese in a PM.
Haha now that I'd pay to see! Tour Guide Nagoyankee! Maybe Hatsuo11 can write your script for you in Japanese for you to read in English? :P

Can you take us on a vitual tour of Basingstoke instead, please? I don't know why, but I like that word.. Basingstoke.. Basingstoke.. Mmm Basingstoke.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#7 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

11-03-2009, 11:23 PM

and I could be the tour van driver!... that might be the only part that might actually go half decent... other than about 20 wrong turns in a day and having to turn the van upside right after corning too fast around a hairpin

IamKira
(#8 (permalink))
Old
aussielung (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2009, 09:47 AM

Well while these guys have a laugh at the "never been to Japan but...." post here are my thoughts.

Well Christmas in Tokyo means ILLUMINATION which is quite impressive in it's neon gawdyness. Personally it's not really my thing but it could be fun for the ohhh and ahhhh factor.

Asakusa is usually very lovely but they are doing some construction there at the moment so a large part of the temple is covered with that chalk board stuff. Can't go past Shibuya during the day or at night. Shinjuku is ok but in my opinion over rated and I don't like the area much, but that may have more to do with the fact that unless I am on the Shinjuku koen side of the station I get lost VERY easily. If you want to just walk around and think "oh my god, why am I here." then you should check out where I stayed on my last trip. Iriya near Senzoku Street (wait, was that the right spelling). It's basically been the pleasure district of Tokyo since the 17th century. But I'm not suggesting it so you can go off and get your bad thing on with hookers. The area is interesting for the small temples that are dotted all over the area. With in a 5 minute walk from my hotel there where 5 small temples and in total 7 that I know of between Iriya station and where I was staying. You could spend a day just walking the residential streets looking at all the pretty amongst the degradation of the area.

There is also a bar in Shimbashi but I can't find the card for it and can't remember the spelling. I want to kagaya or something like that. Anyway, the guy who owns and runs the place it quite possibly insane but it's a fun night of food and drink served in an 'authentic' style based on geographical locations. Lets just say, if you want your drinks served in an American style Kermit the Frog will look very different afterwards. If I remember is was like 6000 yen for all you can eat and drink.

Have fun.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MexDude (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks, ill be sure to visit most of them.Can't wait i'm sure it will be an amazing time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsuto11 View Post
Hi there,
I haven't visited Tokyo so far but i know the most important monuments there. This is a list of the places you MUST visit if you go there (sorry i cannot help ya a lot coz my knowledge of the city is quite limited):
Asakusa Temple
Tokyo Tower
Tokyo international museum
The imperial palace
Those are the most 'essential' places to visit. If you like shopping, i recommend ya to go to Ginza, Shibuya and Shinjuku... and to Akiharaba which is Japan's premier shopping district.
There are a huge amount of places to visit which I couldn't include in this post. Tokyo is full of attractions.... plus, there are lots of buddhist temples and shinto shrines which ya can visit if u like to~~ I cannot list oll of them here but some of them are:
Takaosan
Sensoji Temple
Meiji Shrine
Sengakuji Temple
Zojoji Temple
Yasukuni Shrine......

I am sure that you'll like Tokyo so much, I guess it is really nice and my dream is to visit it once^^I wish ya a nice trip!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MexDude (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2009, 11:34 AM

For this trip I don't really have anything in specific that I would like to do. Pretty much just look around and try to relax. Maybe go to a couple clubs and stuff. I love learning about other countries cultures, so I will make sure to visit the shrines and in the future I am trying to go to Kyoto as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicenema View Post
What are you interested in doing? The shopping on Tokyo is world class and there really are some fun shrines if you'd like. We went in the fall for our first time and had no issues spending two weeks in Tokyo. Every day was something new and fun.