JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Fina (Offline)
New to JF

Japan customs (imports) - 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM

My question is regarding customs (bringing things into and out of Japan), specifically at the airport when flying into Japan.

I have read over the Japan Customs website, but there are still some things that are confusing to me.
I understand all of the "Prohibited Items", but there is also a long list of items that you can only bring a certain number of over and only within a certain price range, duty free.

Having never traveled long term overseas before, these terms are all new to me and I don't quite understand "duty-free" and "tariffs".

I was reading that no item exceeding 200,000 JPY can be duty free and you can only bring 2 oz of perfume. I also read that only 2 months worth of contacts can be brought over duty-free.

How about DVDs? Also, my laptop computer is more expensive than 200,000 JPY. How will that be taxed? Will they need to inspect it as well?

What if they think something is worth more than it actually is?

What types of taxes will be imposed on me if I bring more than this? How expensive will it be? Has anyone ever had any problems with customs going into Japan?

I'm sorry if I am misusing some terms, this is all new to me and the Japan Customs website was kind of confusing.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2009, 09:29 PM

The only places I've travelled to have been Canada and around the US, so I can't help you much, but duty free means you didn't pay taxes for whatever it was you purchased, usually at the Duty Free store at the airport, which typically sells alcoholic beverages and perfume to people travelling overseas(you have to show them your ticket to prove this, since the prices are supposedly reduced and you won't be paying taxes for it).

What I think should be considered is if it's necessary for you to bring something like your computer. Maybe if you still have a receipt for it, you could prove that it doesn't go over that amount, but like I said, I don't really know...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Fina (Offline)
New to JF

11-11-2009, 09:50 PM

The thing is that my laptop it does go over the 200,000 Yen amount.
Do they just ask what the estimated price is (I have no intention of lying) or do they want to see the sales receipt (so I know to bring it with my on carry-on)

EDIT: Oh, and what about bringing dried tea leaves in their original containers?

Last edited by Fina : 11-11-2009 at 11:10 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-12-2009, 12:29 AM

If you are flying into Japan and the laptop is yours and for your personal use and not for sale - then you should have no problem at all. You have already bought the item and paid taxes on it.
Inside Japan, if you wish to buy something new without paying tax (duty free) then there will be limitations on what you can buy.

It does not apply to personal items you already bought and paid taxes for outside of Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.