JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jonosuke (Offline)
New to JF

Planning a trip to Japan - 12-23-2009, 06:31 AM

Hello guys and gals-

This is my attempt to plan my first trip to Japan and I am quite unsure on how and where to start. First of all, I am a 5th generation Japanese-American (my great-great grandparents immigrated during the 1800s) and am curious about my heritage. I have been in contact with a few relatives in Japan and want to visit them, the ancestral graves/shrines, and learn more about the family history. Also, sightseeing if time permits. However, I have ancestors that came from Kumamoto, Yamaguchi, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka, which means I have a bit of traveling to do.

I am a poor college student right now, so cost is my main concern. I would be willing to stay at business hotels or hostels to cut the costs. This is my rough outline of what the costs could be:

-plane tickets round-trip from the US to Japan and back; seems to be around $1500-$2000 from what I see on travel sites
-hotel or hostel for 3 weeks-maybe about $1000 on the cheaper side, I need someplace where I won't get mugged and my belongings stolen
-food-I will probably eat at my relative's houses on several occasions, so that will cut some costs; maybe some meals at some local restaurants that I can find; McDonalds, if all else fails; cost will be probably around $400?, I'm not picky about what I eat, as long as it's cheap and not chicken sashimi or blowfish
-transportation-this, I have no clue what the costs are; I'll probably need to use a train to get from city to city (I have about 7 to visit) and maybe a ferry to get from Honshu to Kyushu; help please

Is there anything important I missed? Is this trip possible to do on a $6000 budget? I want to do this trip before I am old, infirm, and have children leeching off my money (I know how my parents feel).

Thanks!

-Keith
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonosuke View Post
Hello guys and gals-

This is my attempt to plan my first trip to Japan and I am quite unsure on how and where to start. First of all, I am a 5th generation Japanese-American (my great-great grandparents immigrated during the 1800s) and am curious about my heritage. I have been in contact with a few relatives in Japan and want to visit them, the ancestral graves/shrines, and learn more about the family history. Also, sightseeing if time permits. However, I have ancestors that came from Kumamoto, Yamaguchi, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka, which means I have a bit of traveling to do.

I am a poor college student right now, so cost is my main concern. I would be willing to stay at business hotels or hostels to cut the costs. This is my rough outline of what the costs could be:

-plane tickets round-trip from the US to Japan and back; seems to be around $1500-$2000 from what I see on travel sites
-hotel or hostel for 3 weeks-maybe about $1000 on the cheaper side, I need someplace where I won't get mugged and my belongings stolen
-food-I will probably eat at my relative's houses on several occasions, so that will cut some costs; maybe some meals at some local restaurants that I can find; McDonalds, if all else fails; cost will be probably around $400?, I'm not picky about what I eat, as long as it's cheap and not chicken sashimi or blowfish
-transportation-this, I have no clue what the costs are; I'll probably need to use a train to get from city to city (I have about 7 to visit) and maybe a ferry to get from Honshu to Kyushu; help please

Is there anything important I missed? Is this trip possible to do on a $6000 budget? I want to do this trip before I am old, infirm, and have children leeching off my money (I know how my parents feel).

Thanks!

-Keith
It doesn't sound like you have budgeted for travelling.

Chicken sashimi and blowfish are not cheap, so don't worry about it if you are on a bare bones budget. Seven cities in three weeks is ambitious.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jonosuke (Offline)
New to JF

12-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It doesn't sound like you have budgeted for travelling.

Chicken sashimi and blowfish are not cheap, so don't worry about it if you are on a bare bones budget. Seven cities in three weeks is ambitious.
Hi MMM-

I know, this is the first time I'm doing anything of this sort, which is why I posted here. My main goal right now is just to save enough money to go. Realistically, this trip probably won't happen until late next year or 2011. All I need to know right now is just a rough estimate on how much this would cost. I don't plan on going nuts on shopping sprees there.

7 cities in 3 weeks is what I'm planning for right now, but I might cut out going to Omuta-shi in Fukuoka Prefecture and Fukuyama-shi in Hiroshima because those are my only 2 places where I don't have any contact with relatives. Fukuyama-shi was destroyed in World War II and my family here in the US lost contact with the ones in Japan. I think they all survived, though. I can probably stay for a month at the longest if I decide to extend this trip.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

12-24-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonosuke View Post
Hi MMM-

I know, this is the first time I'm doing anything of this sort, which is why I posted here. My main goal right now is just to save enough money to go. Realistically, this trip probably won't happen until late next year or 2011. All I need to know right now is just a rough estimate on how much this would cost. I don't plan on going nuts on shopping sprees there.

7 cities in 3 weeks is what I'm planning for right now, but I might cut out going to Omuta-shi in Fukuoka Prefecture and Fukuyama-shi in Hiroshima because those are my only 2 places where I don't have any contact with relatives. Fukuyama-shi was destroyed in World War II and my family here in the US lost contact with the ones in Japan. I think they all survived, though. I can probably stay for a month at the longest if I decide to extend this trip.
For once I am going to disagree with MMM. I did about 20 cities in 22 days, sure there were LOTS of traveling, but its doable

As for your flight, that seems a lot, I fly from Canada and have never paid more than 1000 canadian, try IACE travel, they normally have some decent deals