JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
secuono (Offline)
New to JF

Question Honeymoon Visit, Help! - 01-31-2010, 07:27 PM

So we wanted to go to Kyoto, Japan for our Honeymoon, date not set.
We would love to be in a real, traditional home instead of a western, boring 'ol hotel.
Kind of this this link shows. B & B Juno (Kyoto, Japan) - Reviews - TripAdvisor
I know little Japanese & my boyfriend knows basically 0, but we do not want to be in tour groups or anything like that. We want to be in an area not too busy, but where we can walk & take pictures of a more day to day life and nature. I like Kyoto since it was the original capitol, I believe & it's slightly less high-tech & busy than Tokyo.
Any ideas?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-31-2010, 10:53 PM

I stayed in a small hostel called Bola Bola just outside of the main part of Kyoto. It was easily accessible via the train system (Uzimasa stop) they have there.
It was nice and cosy and the owners were really friendly. They have their own information leaflets that they have made up of the local attractions/sights and they are written in English. They also have a board of upcoming events, for example, when we were there, they told us about a local flea market at a temple which we visited.
They have a small lounge area with books and things and a small kitchen area to cook your own food if you want. We spent a week in Kyoto and did things off our own back without going with any tour guides.
Here is a link for the Guest House Bola Bola for you to check out: Guest House Bola Bola

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jbradfor (Offline)
JF Regular

02-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
I like Kyoto since it was the original capitol,
I guess it depends on how far back you want to go. Before Tokyo was the capital, Kyoto was the capital. But before that Kamakura was the capital. But before that Kyoto was the capital (Heian period). But before that Nara was the capital. .... But it certainly is the case that Kyoto is less busy than Tokyo.

In any case, speaking of Kamakura, you might want to consider it was well. Others with more experience can chime in, but I find Kamakura even more livable and romantic and calm than Kyoto. And if you're going to Japan for a honeymoon, maybe a couple of days at a romantic onsen (hot spring resort)?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
So we wanted to go to Kyoto, Japan for our Honeymoon, date not set.
We would love to be in a real, traditional home instead of a western, boring 'ol hotel.
Kind of this this link shows. B & B Juno (Kyoto, Japan) - Reviews - TripAdvisor
I know little Japanese & my boyfriend knows basically 0, but we do not want to be in tour groups or anything like that. We want to be in an area not too busy, but where we can walk & take pictures of a more day to day life and nature. I like Kyoto since it was the original capitol, I believe & it's slightly less high-tech & busy than Tokyo.
Any ideas?
I just did my honeymoon in Japan for about a month back in October, I am happy to share my itinerary if you are interested. I don't normally stay that long (We stayed a month only because its our honeymoon, otherwise i usually stay for 10-14 days), so I can help you plan out something shorter.

As for Kyoto, while it is the original capital, not much of that "originalism" is left, it is quiet comparing to Hakata, Osaka, Yokohama and Tokyo, but its still a busy city. You probably will run out of things to do after about 4 days in Kyoto.