JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tini0211 (Offline)
New to JF

Best way from Tokyo to Osaka? (train, bus etc.) - 02-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Hey =)

I'm new to this forum and also looked through some older posts before opening a new thread, but I haven't really found what I'm looking for.
So with this it would be awesome to get some answers from you guys!! *0*

First of all I would like to ask what's the best way of getting to Osaka (from Tokyo)?
I heard about the JR pass thing, but it's so expensive...and I'm not sure, If I can use it for other trips except Osaka.
So other than that there are nightbuses, right? But I don't really get how to book tickets...since one company just replied I could only book them online (and so I have to registrate on that site, which is all in Japanese!! v.v)
Is there another way to get those tickets? Or do you know a site in English or something that could help me?? ;___;
(Btw...are there daybuses as well?)

And other than that...a question concerning subway and suburban train in Tokyo!
A friend of mine told me there are no tickets for a whole week or something like that...just day tickets?? Is that true or can I just buy week tickets at one of those ticket automats at every train station??

Also I would like to say thanks for those helpful threads and answers here at this forum!! <3
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tini0211 View Post
A friend of mine told me there are no tickets for a whole week or something like that...just day tickets?? Is that true or can I just buy week tickets at one of those ticket automats at every train station??
I am not sure what your friend is talking about.

There are many train companies (to state it easily) in Tokyo, so a train pass is only really good if you want to ride the shinkansen to other cities...and a lot, in my opinion.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tini0211 (Offline)
New to JF

Thanks~ - 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM

I thought so, about the JR Pass, but I wanted to make sure once more.
Thank you!!^^

But my other question was about subways. Are there any tickets you can buy at the station that are valid for a week or more? Not just for a day?

Ah..it's difficult to put it into right words!! >___< I'm sorry for messing up m(_ _)m
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tini0211 View Post
Hey =)

I'm new to this forum and also looked through some older posts before opening a new thread, but I haven't really found what I'm looking for.
So with this it would be awesome to get some answers from you guys!! *0*

First of all I would like to ask what's the best way of getting to Osaka (from Tokyo)?
I heard about the JR pass thing, but it's so expensive...and I'm not sure, If I can use it for other trips except Osaka.
So other than that there are nightbuses, right? But I don't really get how to book tickets...since one company just replied I could only book them online (and so I have to registrate on that site, which is all in Japanese!! v.v)
Is there another way to get those tickets? Or do you know a site in English or something that could help me?? ;___;
(Btw...are there daybuses as well?)

And other than that...a question concerning subway and suburban train in Tokyo!

Also I would like to say thanks for those helpful threads and answers here at this forum!! <3
The JR pass is only good for JR Trains, some JR Bus and that one JR Ferry. As MMM pointed out, unless you are going to be relyiing on JR's service A LOT, otherwise, the Pass is not worth it.

That said, most major cities and major attraction IS accessible by some form of JR transportation, so depending on where you are going, the JR pass CAN come in handy.

As for day pass and weekly pass, I have never used one myself, some cities (Kyoto for example) have sightseeing bus/train pass. While in Tokyo, a suica maybe a good option, but its not exactly a "rail pass".
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tini0211 (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Ah I see!
Thanks a lot for your help as well!!
I never heard about Suica, but just looked it up and try to inform me more about it now! So thanks ^0^
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-10-2010, 01:24 PM

How likely are you to be making multiple trips on the Shink? If you're going to travel three times or more by bullet train, get the pass. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-10-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
How likely are you to be making multiple trips on the Shink? If you're going to travel three times or more by bullet train, get the pass. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it.
It depends on the distance too though.. I mean, a 2 week pass is like 400, a single ride (Reserved seat) form Tokyo to Kyoto will already be 150.....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
02-10-2010, 06:18 PM

There are tickets for a week/month on the Subway and Tokyo Train system but they are usually only worth the money if you do more than 2-3 Trips a day.
The Suica is a RFID chipped card that you can charge and than you won´t have to worry about fares and tickets. You will just need to recharge it and you can get the deposit back when you return the card.

There are lots of night bus companys doing the trip to Osaka. Here is a little overview of the other routes possible Highway Bus Routes from Osaka
Here is the page from JR HIGHWAY BUS TIMETABLE | JR BUS KANTO wich operates buses from and to nearly anywhere in Japan. JR is expensive, so try to find another company if you want it as cheap as possible.
I just checked this company 高速バス/深夜・夜行バスのご予約ならWILLER TRAVEL but it seems that the cheapest JR bus is around the same price, maybe its different for this trip because its a famous destination but i remember going from Yamagata to Tokyo and JR was way more expensive.

There are daybuses but they are usually more expensive and you might get stuck in traffic/only reach the cityoutskirts by this buses.
If you are in Japan during the right time you can get a special ticket that will let you travel 5 days (don´t have to be suggestive) unlimited on normal JR trains (no shinkansen,Sleeper or Limited express). This would cost 2000yen a day and it is possbile to get to Osaka in one day (with good planning). This is the cheapest option other than Hitchhiking but it took me good 11hours to get to Kyoto like that.

Hope i could help

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tini0211 (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2010, 11:35 PM

THANKS!!! Really!
Your answer helped A LOT!!! ^0^

------
Btw you're from Germany as well, right?
Just noticed your blog
Hope you had a good time in Japan~
^0^