JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chikavelli (Offline)
New to JF

Considering JR pass. 3rd Time to Japan but without assistance - 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm going to try to travel to Osaka and then back to Tokyo. One week Tokyo maybe 2 weeks Osaka. I'm consider a JR pass. I'm not planning on doing much sight seeing. Would it be worth it to get a JR pass for the week that I would travel from Tokyo to Osaka then from Osaka to Tokyo? Is anyone familiar with the price rages to and from both places? Any Advice Would Be Super Appriciated!!!

"Ignorance is consent" Michael Tsarion
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikavelli View Post
I'm going to try to travel to Osaka and then back to Tokyo. One week Tokyo maybe 2 weeks Osaka. I'm consider a JR pass. I'm not planning on doing much sight seeing. Would it be worth it to get a JR pass for the week that I would travel from Tokyo to Osaka then from Osaka to Tokyo? Is anyone familiar with the price rages to and from both places? Any Advice Would Be Super Appriciated!!!
A one week pass will probably be cheaper than buying round trip Shinkansen tickets betweenTokyo and Osaka, you will also be able to use it in Osaka, but not much though.

Prices you can fiind on Hyperdia (http://www.hyperdia.com/). Prices for the JR pass is here: JAPAN RAIL PASS types and prises

Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for, shoot the question and we will try to answer
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Having just done a week in Osaka and a week in Tokyo I am glad I did not spend nearly 500 on a two week pass, as my final tally for trains (ridden every day) was about 400 dollars, and that included a there and back on the shinkansen (which would be covered) and various subways in both cities (which the pass does not cover).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Here's an idea.

Why don't you go to the JR website with your itinerary and calculate the individual prices yourself?

FWIW, I bought a one week JR Pass and ended up paying more than I would with individual fares for my trip.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-18-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Here's an idea.

Why don't you go to the JR website with your itinerary and calculate the individual prices yourself?

FWIW, I bought a one week JR Pass and ended up paying more than I would with individual fares for my trip.
You guys are right, I didn't do a search prior to my last reply, I keep thinking of old numbers when i didn't get a rail pass and went to Kyoto on reserved.....
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Chikavelli (Offline)
New to JF

02-18-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Here's an idea.

Thanks for the advice. I already checked the site. I was just looking for some experienced opinion.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ignorance is consent" Michael Tsarion