JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jaws (Offline)
New to JF

Lugguge on Trains - 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM

If shinkansen does not allow storage of hugh luggage, what's other fast train can we take from Tokyo to Kyoto to Nagoya to Takayama, then back to Nagoya?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-22-2010, 04:41 PM

How big are you talking about? I`m imagining normal sized suitcases?

Stand with them at the end of the aisle, or if you are on a fairly empty one sit in the very front seats and store them in front of you. People take skis, snowboards, and the like on the shinkansen all the time - I doubt you have anything bigger than that. You just have to keep it with you. Trains don`t have somewhere to store the things.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
If shinkansen does not allow storage of hugh luggage, what's other fast train can we take from Tokyo to Kyoto to Nagoya to Takayama, then back to Nagoya?
Try to score yourself a spot near the back of one of the cars on the shink, the area behind last row seats can fit pretty large suitcases behind it. if not your next best bet is the front row of the car, putting your luggage in front of you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
StueyT (Offline)
JF Regular

02-23-2010, 02:05 AM

I've never had any issues on the Shink with a 70l rucksack and a 25l at the same time, either at my seat or at the front/back of the car as mentioned above. How big is your luggage exactly? It must be ridiculously huge to not get on...

広島市は一番!
My Flickr
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Another vote for back of the car. Place the bags behind the last seats, and take those seats. If you are concerned about a crowded car, pay the extra for a reserved seat and tell the person at the counter you want a seat against the back.

I've traveled with two huge suit cases more than once, they always fit behind the last seats.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-23-2010, 12:25 PM

There should be an open spot to the rear of the car for large bags, and there is enough room between the seats to set your bags on the floor between them. 2 bags (1 large, 1 carry-on size) should be fine. If you have lots of bags, see about getting them shipped ahead (or behind) you, your hotel should be able to make the arrangements for you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-25-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
If you have lots of bags, see about getting them shipped ahead (or behind) you, your hotel should be able to make the arrangements for you.
This is what I would recommend, too, if the OP is staying in each city for more than just a day or two. It's how I travel light in Japan.