JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Takai (Offline)
New to JF

Transportations!! - 02-28-2010, 09:46 PM

I am now applying for one month VISA to Japan, and the embassy is asking me to write down my detailed schedule during this trip including transportations I will use to get to these places.
My trip is one month long, in Tokyo only, and my hotel is in Chofu, Tobitakyuu.
I have 2 problems regards the transportations. I searched the web to know how train and subway's system work in Japan, but actually I got lost with many options and companies. So I am here asking you kindly for your help.
1st problem is that my plane arrives to Kansai Airport in Osaka. But probably there are no planes available from Kansai to Tokyo at the day of my travel. So are there other ways to travel from Osaka to Tokyo? Shinkansen maybe? Is there other cheaper options?
2nd problem, I want to visit many places in Tokyo. But I don't know what best and cheapest transportations I can use to reach them. Can you please help me if not in all of them, at least some of them? Or at least give me a map for stations used for these places?
As I said, my hotel is in Chofu near Tobitakyuu Station. And here is a list of the places I am planning to visit:

* Akihabara
* Shinjuku Streets
* Tokyo Tower
* Asakusa Route
* Streets of Harajuku and its shrine
* Yoyogi Garden
* Ueno Onshi Park
* Tokyo Midtown
* The National Museum of Modern Art
* Ikebukuro's Sunshine City
* Odaiba
* Shibuya
* Tokyo international anime fair
* Hiwatari-sai (Firewalking Festival)

I will appreciate any help since I have no time at all to search them all by myself..
Thank you in advance ^__^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
02-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Your fastest option is the Shinkansen, the cheapest (but longer and more complicated) is a nightbus. The Shinkansen will be around 8500yen and the transportation into Osaka around 1000yen.

In Tokyo there is the JR Lines (Train) http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf . They are a little bit cheaper than Subway and were my favourite. You will mostly stay inside the city center, the green line runs a loop and you can do alot of sightseeing with that.

The subway can be more convinient if going to places like Roppongi or the Tokyo Tower http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/s...outemap_en.pdf It only runs in the center, so you can explore the whole map for sightseeing spots. There are 2 different subway companys, but both are on the same map

There are other private Trainlines but u will usually not need to use them.

Get a Suica RFID chipped card and you won´t have to worry about buying tickets. Just reload the card when its empty and pass the gates, the price will be calculated automaticly.

To find trainschedules and prices you can use this page Hyperdia | Timetable and Route Search in Japan.

Have fun

Edit: Why do you have to apply for a one month visa? Most countrys get the Visa when entering the country. Just curious, but where are you from?

EDIT 2: Sorry, i did only post the fare, there is a seat charge of 5500yen for the Shinkansen. Hyperdia states a total price of 14050yen for the ride from Shinosaka to Tokyo

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)

Last edited by Firebird : 03-01-2010 at 05:37 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

02-28-2010, 10:55 PM

Shinkansen.Shin Osaka to Tokyo 14050yen.
You can use only Keio Line from Tobitakyuu Station to Shinjuku.
After Shinjuku,JR or Subway.As you like.

* Hiwatari-sai (Firewalking Festival)
You mean Takao san? If so,you should use Keio Line.The opposite direction of Shinjuku.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-01-2010, 12:01 AM

There is a station at Kansai Airport, you can take the local train from there to Shin-Osaka station where you can catch the Shinkansen to Tokyo. The last time I took the trip, a reserved seat cost 18,000 yen. If that's to expensive, you can take a highway bus to Tokyo Station from Kansai airport; however, the bus is an overnight or all-day trip, whereas the Shinkansen makes the trip in about 3 hours.

Most of the places in your Tokyo itinerary are on the Yamanote train line, so getting to them is easy. The Yamanote line runs in a circle through the city, and will pass Shinjuku, Harajuku, Akihabara, Ueno, and Ikebukuro. Harajuku and Yoyogi park are next to each other, which is convenient, Shibuya is only one stop away, and you can walk there in 15 minutes from Harajuku. The National Museum is located across the street from Ueno park. To get to Asakusa, you'll need to take the Ginza or Asakusa line subway, to get to Midtown, you can take the Hibiya line. To get to Odaiba, you take the Yurikamome line from Shimbashi Station.

You should be able to find train and subway maps in any language on the internet. Find one and print it out. Guidebooks are also very handy, and can give you step-by-step directions.