JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tinasg (Offline)
New to JF

Advice on Kagoshima Adventure - 03-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Hello all,

I've been reading the posts on this site for some weeks now and found them extremely useful but I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help me with...

I apologize if I ramble, I've just been thinking about this and excited for this trip for so long.

Last year my husband and I hosted a wonderful Japanese couple and they invited us to visit them in Kagoshima. We arrive in Tokyo on Fri, May 14 at 6PM and must find a way to get to Kagoshima.

Our original plan was to fly into Tokyo, fly to Kagoshima, spend a 3/4 days with our friends and then use the JR pass to get back to Toyko, stopping to sight-see as we go and leave Tokyo in Thur. May 27.

I'm having a hard time finding a flight on the 14th to Kagoshima, that won't cost me an arm and a leg. There is one ANA super-tabiwari flight but it leaves at 7:30PM. I'm afraid 1.5 hours is not enough time to get checked baggage and find a new boarding gate in a new and foreign airport.

We were thinking of taking a night bus or the Sunrise Seto train and 3 connecting trains. Those option would put us in Kagoshima around 11AM Saturday.

Has anyone done anything like this?

My reasoning is I don't want to pay for 1 night in a hotel near Narita just to take a "cheap" $300 super-tabiwari flight to Kagoshima in the morning and arrive later then the bus or train.

Granted 12 hours on a bus or train after 11 hours in the air doesn't sound ideal but we are young and I think we could suck it up and do it unless someone has a better idea?

I wouldn't mind making the trip in reverse (spending a few sightseeing on the way there) but unfortunately our Japanese friends have obligations that make that impossible.

Also I am very concerned about what gifts to bring. When we hosted them they brought us so many beautiful gifts... cakes, teas, shoju, beautiful scarves, soaps, handkerchiefs, local art prints, some pieces of jewelry and more.

We also gave them gifts when they left our home, Dodger gear, wine, See's candy, digital photo albums, some engraved jewelry... and I don't know what to bring this time, especially since they said so many of the things we have they also have in Japan. We're going to bring wine for sure but what else?

Someone mentioned to me that they brought boxed cake mix to Japan and that was a big hit but I'm skeptical... anyone heard this before?

We even asked if they would like anything specific and their only request was for a copy of the Declaration of Independence... weird but I'm assuming that's for a family member that they mentioned was a teacher.

They are a couple in their early 30's and live in a tiny apartment. I know knickknacks are out.

I'm sorry for the length of this post - I'm just so excited and nervous! Thank you to anyone who takes the time to glance over this!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Not sure if the bus is an option as the only overnight I see goes as far as Fukuoka

Jeez the train looks to be an adventure

From wiki

Quote:
Sleeper Trains

Because most overnight trains from Tokyo and Kansai to Kyushu have been discontinued, traveling overnight to Kagoshima is difficult, but it IS possible. If you're willing to constantly change trains, you will be rewarded as your journey will double as lodging.

From Tokyo

From Tokyo you will have to take FOUR trains: the 10 PM Sunrise Seto/Sunrise Izumo overnight service to Okayama, the Shinkansen from Okayama to Hakata, the Relay Tsubame to Shin-Yatsushiro and finally the Kyushu Shinkansen. This route has you leaving Tokyo at 10 PM and getting to Kagoshima-Chuo at 11:30 AM the next morning. (13 1/2 hours)

Japan Rail Pass holders must pay the lodging charge on the Tokyo-Okayama segment; the rest of the trip is covered under the pass. Lodging charges currently range from ¥9450 for a B solo to ¥10500 for a B single, to ¥16500 for an A single deluxe. If you really want to travel on the cheap side, ¥3660 gets you your own floor space... literally, you sleep on the floor.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
luce (Offline)
New to JF

03-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Hello Tina,
I don't know if I'll be of any help... I'm going to Japan next month and I am going to bring some chocolate boxes and a bottle of Whiskey or Baileys, which is th tipical Irish drink.
From what I have read here, food is the most appreciated gift, so bring over something very tipical of your own country!!!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-17-2010, 03:59 AM

You should not use bus.It takes too long time and cost you more than using Train with JR pass.
Sunrise Seto train is ok plan itself,but after flight...

I suggest staying in Shin Osaka for the night at cheap Hostel.
Narita(6PM)→Tokyo→Shin Osaka(Hostel).
Next morning leave Osaka for Kagoshima.
Shin Osaka(Hikari 541 06:05 AM) →Hakata→Kagoshima Chuuou(11:30 AM)
You can change train easily.

I can't see which is better for your health.But shin osaka plan is more flexible.

Last edited by allhailhata : 03-17-2010 at 04:15 AM.