LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I noticed that you can now rent a 3G SIM card from Softbank for 110 yen/day. Airtime is 105 yen/minute but incoming calls are free.
Thats not so bad, but thats just the sim, isn't it? Not a phone? lets see.. it will work out at 4180円 / £30 for the duration of my stay, thats if I don't make any calls..

I had a discussion with my Service Provider again earlier today, they said if I bought a 3G contract phone from them in England, it would work with their partner network in Japan. Are they telling the truth or are they just trying to get me to sign my life away?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-11-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I should have been more clear. The US is the same way, so when I said "used locally" I mean "used domestically - in Japan".
Some in the US are the same way - Apparently depending on the plan and provider there really are ones that have "local" and "long distance" on them. It`s possible because the cell phone is tied to it`s local area - the phone number itself includes an area code. In Japan, the "area code" is the same for every cell phone.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Thats not so bad, but thats just the sim, isn't it? Not a phone? lets see.. it will work out at 4180円 / £30 for the duration of my stay, thats if I don't make any calls..

I had a discussion with my Service Provider again earlier today, they said if I bought a 3G contract phone from them in England, it would work with their partner network in Japan. Are they telling the truth or are they just trying to get me to sign my life away?
Yep. That's just the SIM card.

However, I just realized that your 3G phone would have to be unlocked for it to accept the SIM.

Your 3G phone will most likely work in Japan. (My iPhone seamlessly switched to the Docomo network the second I touched down in Japan.) However, as mentioned before, it could cost you an arm and a leg to use. Ask your provider how much airtime would be in Japan via their partner network. I think my regular rate was close to $5/minute!
(#24 (permalink))
Old
akabusi (Offline)
New to JF

05-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Hi Shadow

I notice that nobody has suggested renting a phone from Mobal at Narita airport (I assume you're going through there?).

They currently have a special 'free rental' offer (at least they did when I last looked). So you could have a really cheap solution for your trip.

Here is a link to their website - have a look Japanese Cell Phone Rental from Narita Airport, Tokyo

I used them when I went to Tokyo and I would recommend them.

(#25 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabusi View Post
Hi Shadow

I notice that nobody has suggested renting a phone from Mobal at Narita airport (I assume you're going through there?).

They currently have a special 'free rental' offer (at least they did when I last looked). So you could have a really cheap solution for your trip.

Here is a link to their website - have a look Japanese Cell Phone Rental from Narita Airport, Tokyo

Echoooooooo
(#26 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabusi View Post
Hi Shadow

That's a wicked deal as long as you're on the receiving end of the phone calls.

Otherwise, the Softbank deal is better if you plan on making (an average of) more than 2 minutes of outgoing calls per day.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
unisaurusrex (Offline)
New to JF

05-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Is everyone sure ?_____?
When I went, my phone worked fine...

However this may be, renting a phone should be no problem at all.
Since their currency is of a lesser value than most [I sound terrible]
it shouldn't cost too much~!