JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JoeSensei (Offline)
New to JF

Climbing Mount Fuji - Mountain Huts - 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm planning on climbing Mount Fuji with one or two friends on July 20. I mostly know how to prepare myself, though I'm unsure about our overnight stay in a mountain hut. I understand that the Japanese have their Summer holidays around this time, meaning that Fuji will be busy and spaces in the huts will be difficult to find. I've seen some websites recommending booking and others saying it's not completely necessary. In my confusion, I have decided to enquire here and seek the guidance of people with personal experience in climbing Fuji.

- Would you recommend I book for this night?
- How far in advance should I book?
- My Japanese is limited, so booking over the phone will be difficult. Does anybody know of any huts which take bookings in English?
- I could do the whole climb in one night... about how cold does the peak of Fuji get around this time of year?

Thanks in advance for your help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

05-19-2010, 05:26 AM

I can only answer the very last question.

It shouldn't get below 5C, especially around that period. There are however a couple of buts, and they are important to keep in mind.

1. it could very well be below 5C
2. it could rain. even if you wear rain gear, you will get wet meaning that the chill factor will increase
3. it might be windy meaning increased chill factor.

Still it might be between 10-15C on the top. It is difficult to say and that is the beauty of a mountain, it has its own weather.

I've climbed it once much later than you will, and while it most likely wasn't below 5C even on the top it rained throughout the whole climb and it was very, very cold.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ