JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mardy (Offline)
New to JF

Travelling mid November... - 07-28-2010, 02:55 AM

Hi,
I am travelling to Tokyo for the first time in mid November for about 9 days (including the two flight days) with one of my friends and staying in Tokyo the whole time travelling from Australia. We will be staying with a friend in Tokyo.

I think that there is now a little group of people that would like to meet us while we are there, I think that they will take us around to different places (don’t know where tho).

I don’t really know how to catch a train (have not really see one either). But just an overview how much I should budget for a day in costs of catching a train in Tokyo, not sure on how many times we would travel but just an estimate would help.

I hope that when we go there it will be autumn so I would really like to go to a few of the parks could you name a few good parks that would be good around that time of year.

With food is 6000JPY for 3 meals a day enough money for me to budget to, or should I budget for more?
So the main things that im trying to budget to are food and trains in Tokyo.
I have not really thought of an itinerary as of yet so any places that are good to visit would be a big help, because we are staying with our friend in Tokyo it might be easy to ask her how to get to a destination.

Oh and I think that my friend would like to do some clubbing while we are there… not sure how that would work tho.

Any help with this would be very grateful

-Cheers
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-28-2010, 03:37 AM

6000 yen a day should be plenty for food a day. You might need more if you want to add alcohol. If you are just in Tokyo I would be surprised with a little planning you would spend much more than 1000 yen per day.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mardy (Offline)
New to JF

07-28-2010, 04:34 AM

So do you think that 15,200 JPY for travel over the 9 days will be enough (1680 JPY a day) ?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-28-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardy View Post
So do you think that 15,200 JPY for travel over the 9 days will be enough (1680 JPY a day) ?
If you are only in Tokyo, and you aren't crossing the city more than 4 times a day, you should be in good shape.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
07-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Travelling inside Tokyo is not expensive, i also think 1000yen a day should be enough (budget minimum 1000yen each way from and to the airport).
6000 for food is enough. You can even have really nice food for that but i hardly ever spent more than 1200yen on lunch and a few 100 on breakfast. All you can eat dinner (in all kind of variations) usually go around 2500 or up. If you´re friends lived there for a while they will know good places that are not to expensive.

I lived close to Inokashira Koen (Park) near Kichijoji and this park is beautifull in Autum. On Saturdays the park has an "Art market" wich is nice to walk through. There are people selling their pictures or postcards and some people play music while you can watch Japanese couples paddling over the lake with small boats. I loved the atmosphere in this park and its only a short walk from Kichijoji Station on the Shibuya line. I´d definetly recommend half a day up to a day in that Area (Kichijoji). If youre friend is Japanese he will know the area.

For clubbing you can either go to Roppongi ( wich is "the foreigner area) and there are some clubs in Shibuya as well. I´ve only been in Roppongi once but i didn´t like to be aproached all the time (come to this bar or have some all you can drink here,...). I´ve been clubbing in Shibuya once in Club Asia wich was ok. Ask your friends for more tips.

For the other stuff just use the search function on the forum, as the question on what to see and do in Tokyo has been asked and answered alot of times

Firebird

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)