JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alexlovesrock (Offline)
JF Regular

Playing guitar on the street - 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Is it legal to play guitar on the street if you are in Japan on a tourist visa? Also, can you collect money people put in your hat?

As a side note, if anyone knows about any good open mic nights or acoustic guitar cafes in Japan that you can easily perform at that would be great.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlovesrock View Post
Is it legal to play guitar on the street if you are in Japan on a tourist visa? Also, can you collect money people put in your hat?

As a side note, if anyone knows about any good open mic nights or acoustic guitar cafes in Japan that you can easily perform at that would be great.
Legal for a tourist for money? As far as I know, no, it is not. Could you get deported? Yes, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim. Is it worth the risk? That's for you to decide.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Its quite common to see people play guitar on the street in every major city. But i´ve never seen any of them collect money, so you would have a hard time.
Japanese (mostly young) people play on the street just to show what they can do or to promote their band or sell their cds. Usually Friday and Saturday nights are busy in or around trainstations and huge public spaces as well as covered shopping arcades. I´ve seen police send them away once, but usually its tolerated.
But as i said, none of them is collecting money. I could imagine you might be able to sell your own cds if you are good but thats it. Also speaking a bit of japanese might be handy.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alexlovesrock (Offline)
JF Regular

08-07-2010, 04:37 AM

okay thanks for the advice. Basically, do it for free and you are mostly in the clear.

On a related note, do you guys know anything about open mic nights or non-street places to play guitar?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2010, 02:28 AM

I found this using my Google-fu:

Ruby Room
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tyciol (Offline)
New to JF

08-08-2010, 05:00 AM

If you plan on something like that, it is best to not interfere with people, like find somewhere you won't get in their way, do not play too loudly, make sure your playing is good, and don't actually ask for money, just have a hat/case on ground.

Even with this, some people are irritable and may report you to a policeman. Some policeman may warn you first not to do it, though possibly a mean one or having a bad day or doesn't like the look of you may say it is a public disturbance. I am not sure what the penalty for that would be.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-09-2010, 12:13 AM

check out the Tokyo Metropolitan Theater in Ikebukuro. Every weekend different artist on whatever craft performs just outside the theater and yes they also collect money.

other areas like shinjuku also have some performers there, but i think they have a specific time where they could play and specific location, u might need to inquire first. cause as far as i know if you play outside the designated time or place u can get fined.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Here in the UK you need a licence to be allowed to perform on the streets for money. A tourist visa states that your activities in the country is traveling purposes such as sightseeing.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
nhoernig (Offline)
New to JF

08-10-2010, 02:49 AM

Hey man, I'm also a musician in Japan.
People play on the streets quite often and it'll depend on which station you do it at. Some stations don't ever have people playing. I don't know if that's because of laws or what-not but you never know.

There are a few bars in Shibuya and such that offer Open Mic nights. There are also a few jam sessions in the area.

Check out Cozmo's Cafe, Ruby Room (listed above) and 7ef.
All three of those are in Shibuya and have some stuff you might be interested in.

When're you comin out here?