JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
diru1 (Offline)
New to JF

Stay in Shibuya or Shinjuku? - 12-31-2010, 12:08 AM

Each district has its own benefits, and I would ideally travel to both districts during my stay but I cannot decide which district to stay in.

I can either stay at:
the Tobu hotel in shibuya
or
shinjuku prince hotel in shinjuku

Anybody stayed in either? any help will do?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-31-2010, 12:43 AM

Why not stay at both?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-31-2010, 12:58 AM

As a Tokyoite, I can't really see why this is so important because whichever district you choose to stay in, you can hop over to the other in just 10 minutes.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-31-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
As a Tokyoite, I can't really see why this is so important because whichever district you choose to stay in, you can hop over to the other in just 10 minutes.
+1 to that, and if you get the JR tourist pass it's unlimited train use to nearly anywhere, which is awesome.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-31-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
+1 to that, and if you get the JR tourist pass it's unlimited train use to nearly anywhere, which is awesome.
Which would be a royal waste of money if one is only traveling around Tokyo. On my last trip to Tokyo I spent on average 300 to 700 yen a day on the train.

A 14-day JR rail pass works out to over 3200 yen a day. And that doesn't include subways which are often easier than the loop line.

That's five to ten times a downward crash in value, unless you are doing some real traveling.

Last edited by MMM : 12-31-2010 at 03:03 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-31-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Which would be a royal waste of money if one is only traveling around Tokyo. On my last trip to Tokyo I spent on average 300 to 700 yen a day on the train.

A 14-day JR rail pass works out to over 3200 yen a day. And that doesn't include subways which are often easier than the loop line.

That's five to ten times a downward crash in value, unless you are doing some real traveling.
I just checked out the prices online, a friend of mine got it and saved a bunch of money but he went from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back passing through Kyoto and Osaka both ways.
But yeah, it's a waste of money if you stay in one city.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-31-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I just checked out the prices online, a friend of mine got it and saved a bunch of money but he went from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back passing through Kyoto and Osaka both ways.
But yeah, it's a waste of money if you stay in one city.
Just Tokyo to Osaka and back is about the price of the 2 week pass, so adding Hiroshima instantly makes it a better deal, plus the local usage. I mostly rode subways on my last trip... I think I was on the Yamanote line only a couple times, and the subways tend to be cheaper, in my experience.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2010, 01:01 PM

I stayed at the Sunroute Hotel in Shinjuku

I dug Shinjuku more then Shibuya but it depends on what you want. Also the two districts are side by side. You can easily walk to which ever one your not staying in.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2010, 01:10 PM

To throw a wildcard in, staying in Shibuya and Shinjuku are the noiziest and busiest places, pick a quieter nearby yamanote line station and stay near there. It won't take you above 15mins on the train to get into that area, and as said they two districts are next to each other and you can easily hop on a train or even walk between them.

I like the toyoko inn chain, they are all on google maps so google the yamaote line and look to see which of their hotels is hear by.

I think about budgeting a lot though, maybe cost is of no issue to you?

Regarding the JR pass, worth it if you intend to travel between cities a lot, if you just want to travel a lot around Tokyo are in the day there are many different types of "day pass" for the systems, some let you use trains, some trains and subways, some trains, subways and even the dreaded, confusing Japanese bus

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
diru1 (Offline)
New to JF

12-31-2010, 02:02 PM

Thank you for all the advice guys. I won't be getting a JR pass as it will be much cheaper to pay as you travel, and I won't be leaving Tokyo.

I know its not far away from each other but I was thinking about when the trains actually stopped running around midnight, as I heard shinjuku never sleeps with everything staying open...

Can anybody confirm what Shibuya is like at night in comparison?