JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Gahzirra (Offline)
JF Regular

01-19-2011, 01:28 AM

Do not wear sunglasses, you will look like you are up to something.

Sunglasses are super rare in Japan, the only time I saw people with them on was when they were super drunk or the fashionista.

oh and as stated don't think of it as rude if you are sat away from all the Japanese at restaurants or events, as much as the Japanese love foreigners we make them uncomfortable because they don't want to be embarrassed if they cannot communicate with us. Haha, I bought a seat in one of the really nice boxes at a Sumo tournament...all the other boxes were full by the end of the tournament, mine...just me.

Last edited by Gahzirra : 01-19-2011 at 01:33 AM.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-19-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahzirra View Post
Do not wear sunglasses, you will look like you are up to something.

Sunglasses are super rare in Japan, the only time I saw people with them on was when they were super drunk or the fashionista.
I don't think this is as true about sunglasses as it used to be. I would not call sunglasses "super rare," I have bought many pairs there. What I would say is don't wear sunglasses indoors, and take them off when meeting or talking to someone you don't know or don't know well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahzirra View Post
oh and as stated don't think of it as rude if you are sat away from all the Japanese at restaurants or events, as much as the Japanese love foreigners we make them uncomfortable because they don't want to be embarrassed if they cannot communicate with us. Haha, I bought a seat in one of the really nice boxes at a Sumo tournament...all the other boxes were full by the end of the tournament, mine...just me.
I have never experienced this, so it is hard to comment. It may not just be "foreigners" this happens to, but people dressed inappropriately, wearing stupid shirts like this:

Dressing for the occasion is very important in Japan, and what West Coast Americans consider casual is sometimes TOO casual in Japan. Tank tops, flip flops, bermuda shorts, etc. for example, are only appropriate at the beach, really. Japanese casual would still be a collared shirt (i.e. polo shirt) and khaki pants, for example.

Nobody wants to sit next to this guy:

http://image60.webshots.com/160/2/73...2OQudJb_fs.jpg
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-19-2011, 02:40 AM

lol.

I wouldn't wear that t-shirt. But I think it's an appropriate gift for someone I know.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't think this is as true about sunglasses as it used to be. I would not call sunglasses "super rare," I have bought many pairs there. What I would say is don't wear sunglasses indoors, and take them off when meeting or talking to someone you don't know or don't know well.
They may sell them, but the only time I have seen them on someone normal (ie. Not a gangster / fashionista) is in a car while driving. And even then it`s rare enough to really notice. In mid-summer, on a two hour trip, you might spot one or two people wearing sunglasses while driving. People other than tourists just don`t really seem to wear them around at all.

Quote:
Dressing for the occasion is very important in Japan, and what West Coast Americans consider casual is sometimes TOO casual in Japan. Tank tops, flip flops, bermuda shorts, etc. for example, are only appropriate at the beach, really. Japanese casual would still be a collared shirt (i.e. polo shirt) and khaki pants, for example.
Skipping the examples that go overboard - THIS THIS THIS. Japan just has a different standard when it comes to clothes. You can almost ALWAYS spot foreign tourists based on their tank tops, shorts, and sandals (in the summer) even if they are of 100% Japanese descent.
It`s not quite as bad as it used to be - but there is also a designated point for switching from long to short sleeve. Even if it`s really hot, you just won`t see people wearing short sleeves until you get to that changeover point. Again - tourists usually don`t notice this so will be wearing short sleeves long before everyone else.

Anyway, as MMM said - casual in Japan is more like "business casual".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-19-2011, 01:15 PM

You can almost always spot the new/tourist gaijin cuz he/she sports the backpack lol.

and yeah, fashion is a weird one for me still. Sweating in a suit around 100 other men packed on a train, who are also sweating profusely, is just not something I get used to easily. (Note; somehow in the situation above, it doesn't stink at all, if it were in new york you'd die of nasal pain)

There is a certain sensitivity to noise and smell that is quite nice. Respecting the people around you is important.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
skywok (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post

I love living in Japan! Once again I think you're misunderstanding my tone and taking it as complaining but trust me it's not. To a tourist or first time visitor the いらっしゃいませ is impossible to make out. It sounds almost like ぃしゃっせ lol. And no one acknowledges it, tourist or native Japanese alike.

Edit:
I honestly hope no one else got the same idea that I'm complaining, MMM.
I think you're a little too attentive to detail and that most people could pick up the meaning of the things I sad without having to be so verbose. =/
I didn't get that you were complaining (whilst it's probably a reasonably coarse generalisation, it helps to view things that way sometimes to simplify things as a starting point)

I agree - it's sooooo hard to work out what they say when you go into a store! (I loved it all the same though).