JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned
 
Posts: 124
Join Date: Feb 2008
Is 1700 US dollars enough? - 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM

After paying for the flight ticket and hotel I will have 1700 US dollars for food and some shopping in Toyo. I am planning on staying there for 9 days. Will 1700 dollars cover my costs including food?

Things I am planning to buy (besides food of course):

- children's books in Japanese

- maybe a couple of t-shirts and jeans.
Reply With Quote
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX's Avatar
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler
 
Posts: 1,114
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: An arrogant nation.
Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
After paying for the flight ticket and hotel I will have 1700 US dollars for food and some shopping in Toyo. I am planning on staying there for 9 days. Will 1700 dollars cover my costs including food?

Things I am planning to buy (besides food of course):

- children's books in Japanese

- maybe a couple of t-shirts and jeans.
Go for it, my friend. You're as free as the wind.

Maruchan Ramen.
Just don't plan on high rolling. Apparently, Tokyo is the most expensive place in Japan.
I'd set a maximum budget of about $150 a day.
That way you'll have a little emergency cash afterward.


猿も木から落ちる
Reply With Quote
(#3 (permalink))
Old
josebrown's Avatar
josebrown (Offline)
JF Regular
 
Posts: 44
Join Date: Jan 2011
02-17-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
After paying for the flight ticket and hotel I will have 1700 US dollars for food and some shopping in Toyo. I am planning on staying there for 9 days. Will 1700 dollars cover my costs including food?

Things I am planning to buy (besides food of course):

- children's books in Japanese

- maybe a couple of t-shirts and jeans.


if you go hostel living you should have plenty of cash left!
Reply With Quote
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM's Avatar
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan
 
Posts: 12,201
Join Date: Jun 2007
02-17-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebrown View Post
if you go hostel living you should have plenty of cash left!
The 1700 doesn't include hotel.
Reply With Quote
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned
 
Posts: 124
Join Date: Feb 2008
02-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The 1700 doesn't include hotel.
So what do you think MMM? You're the Japan expert here
Reply With Quote
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM's Avatar
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan
 
Posts: 12,201
Join Date: Jun 2007
02-18-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
So what do you think MMM? You're the Japan expert here
That should be more than enough to enjoy yourself.
Reply With Quote
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RealJames's Avatar
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人
 
Posts: 1,131
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: 神戸 三宮
02-18-2011, 03:29 AM

that's about 140k yen these days I think,

for just shopping, food and transportation you should be fine, not fancy but fine


マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
Reply With Quote
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食
 
Posts: 313
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 夢の泉
02-18-2011, 04:42 AM

Some things I would watch out for:

Taxis. If you take a Taxi everywhere you go, your money will drain pretty quickly. The Subway system and local trains may seem intimidating, but it is pretty simple once you are actually there.

Jeans. I bring this up because you mentioned buying jeans. I bought a pair of jeans in Tokyo last time I was there and they are the best jeans I have (quality wise and stylish) but they also cost around $160. I wanted several other pairs of jeans while in Japan, and several of them exceeded $200 or $300 each. Just don't buy too many and you should be fine
Reply With Quote
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine's Avatar
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前
 
Posts: 1,767
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ペンギン村
02-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
Some things I would watch out for:

Taxis. If you take a Taxi everywhere you go, your money will drain pretty quickly. The Subway system and local trains may seem intimidating, but it is pretty simple once you are actually there.

Jeans. I bring this up because you mentioned buying jeans. I bought a pair of jeans in Tokyo last time I was there and they are the best jeans I have (quality wise and stylish) but they also cost around $160. I wanted several other pairs of jeans while in Japan, and several of them exceeded $200 or $300 each. Just don't buy too many and you should be fine
I guess it depends on where you get it from... I did most of my clothing shopping at jeans mate and the like, they are very affordable.... my friend bought a sweater at shibuya for well over 250, so it depends on where and what you are getting..
Reply With Quote
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 604
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA, formerly Shizuoka for 7 years.
02-18-2011, 11:36 PM

I am really tempted to make a sarcastic comment but in the name of civility I will just say that 1700 bucks should be plenty under normal circumstances.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6