JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-22-2011, 12:40 AM

It is a large problem that present I do not have the one's girlfriend.
The obtaining paths other than (my)one's girlfriend are normal.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#12 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-22-2011, 06:03 AM

I work in Tokyo but living in Kanagawa, you should be fine.

I think the reason why BBC stopped the coverage is because, the worst is finally over ( I HOPE !! ).

try getting some information in japantimes.com

the roads going up there are slowly being rebuilt. JR Buses going to Ibaraki are currently runnning.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#13 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-22-2011, 10:10 PM

Radiation risk low for fish, food from Japan - Health - Food safety - msnbc.com
(#14 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-23-2011, 05:22 AM

there are still aftershocks that reaches 6.0+ ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#15 (permalink))
Old
jugglingtam (Offline)
Banned

Come to Tokyo- it's FINE! - 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM

Hello there,

I am living in Makuhari, right next to Tokyo and have to say that everything is FINE! I recently took a job here (after living here for several years in the past), and had to hear it from my friends and family. I figured the American news was sensationalized and I was totally right.

1. Yes, there are aftershocks. But even on the 6th floor of a building, all they are is a little shaky shake for 10 seconds at a time.

2. Yes, there is damage. But things are getting back on track. In my area, 95% of stores/restaurants have reopened. There is PLENTY of food. So much that I think I might pop. Trains are operating on a holiday schedule which is still frequent enough to do everything. Blackouts are every day as of now, but not in hotels from what I understand. They are only 3 hours at a time. It's fine.

People freak out because that's what people do. However, people here are calm and have gotten back to daily life. There is no to delay your trip. In fact, it's probably a good time to come because there will be less tourists because of the paranoia. I am surrounded by a million people and none of us, including all my fellow expatriate teachers, are going anywhere.

Check out my blog for more details and pictures:
Tam Does Japan… Again | Take Two in Tokyo

Sincerely,
Tam
(#16 (permalink))
Old
sbbb (Offline)
New to JF

Also flying out on 13th of April - 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Hi everyone !

My sister and I are due to fly to Osaka on 13th of April, spend a night in Takayama, go to Kyoto for 5 days then to Tokyo for 5 days.

The above post is VERY comforting and I would love to hear from some more people who actually live in Tokyo on whether or not it is safe to come to Tokyo at the moment.

I know the radiation isn't really a problem, that's just media hype, but the Australian government has advised that we do not travel to Tokyo, but have not expressly stated why this is.

Thank you for your feedback!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
curiosityshop (Offline)
New to JF

04-25-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm going to Japan in June for 3 weeks. I read the FDA article linked in this thread, but it only talks about exports. What sort of precautions are being taken in Japan for food intended for restaurants, noodle bars ect...? Should I be taking any precautions such as drinking only bottled water when I go near Tokyo and avoiding certain foods, or is this not worth doing?

I mean, I'm gonna go anyway, and my itinerary isn't going to change, but I have cancer genes from all sides of my family (my dad's mum having died of throat cancer, my dad's dad from breast cancer, my mum's mum currently fighting liver cancer and I think my mum's dad has had prostate cancer), I'm gonna get cancer for sure. The thing is, it might not help my life expectancy if I start eating radioactive food for 3 weeks...So, any precautions I should take?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosityshop View Post
I'm going to Japan in June for 3 weeks. I read the FDA article linked in this thread, but it only talks about exports. What sort of precautions are being taken in Japan for food intended for restaurants, noodle bars ect...? Should I be taking any precautions such as drinking only bottled water when I go near Tokyo and avoiding certain foods, or is this not worth doing?
Contaminated food is not being sold. Food is being heavily tested, and food from areas with evidence of contamination is not being put on the market. Even if it is considered safe, consumers won`t touch anything from the area - so stores aren`t even bothering to stock any.

You have nothing to worry about unless you head up to the hit areas and start harvesting and eating things you find at the side of the road without even washing them.... And even then, you`d probably have to continue eating it for months on end before there would be any chance of it having an effect on your health.

Japan actually has more stringent rules on the amount of radiation that is considered "safe" in things intended for human consumption than most first world countries. (I know that the limit is less than half what is allowed in the US.) The chance that you`ll eat something contaminated is virtually nil.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-25-2011, 11:10 AM

If you think that any restaurants would be serving up contaminated food you're a fool. There is no problem at all with water in Tokyo. Outside of a limited area in Fukushima itself there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I doubt you're planning on travelling within Fukushima?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-25-2011, 11:44 AM

That is good to know guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
If you think that any restaurants would be serving up contaminated food you're a fool. There is no problem at all with water in Tokyo. Outside of a limited area in Fukushima itself there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I doubt you're planning on travelling within Fukushima?
but is this really true? I heard that the ocean and the groundwater is heavily contaminated still. Or is this already gone out of the water?

How did people wash themself, when the ground water was contaminated? I mean could you even take a shower then?

Also, is it really already safe again to drink out of the tap water as well?

All this goes for Tokyo of course.