JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Pattie (Offline)
New to JF

Longing for a guide to Shinto Shrines - 06-24-2011, 06:47 PM

I can never get enough shrines in a trip and desperately wish there was a guide, but until there is, I'm appealing to you all.

I have hit all the of the major ones around Tokyo and Kyoto, so if it's massive and likely full of tourist, chances are I've been there. Are there others you would recommend? Day trips from Tokyo are not a problem as this trip we'll (finally!) have no itinerary.

I welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you for your time and effort.

Cheers,

Pattie
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-25-2011, 01:17 AM

A couple suggestions;

Atsuta Shrine - Houses the Kusanagi, and is considered one of the most important shrines in Japan. (But as it isn`t in Tokyo or Kyoto, it doesn`t get too many foreign tourists.)

Ise Shrine also, if you haven`t been there. Also one of the most important shrines (the most important from a religious standpoint...)

There are some smaller, out of the way shrines that I find absolutely wonderful... but they`re smaller and a bit out of the way.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Pattie (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Cheers,

Pattie
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2011, 02:38 AM

You just can't beat Kyoto when it comes to Shrines..

Have you been to Kamakura yet?? In Kanagawa prefecture, transfer at Yokohama. I'd be surprised if you haven't since you mentioned the bit about already having been to tourist heavy areas, but man I love Kamakura. Granted it leans mostly towards temples, but there are some great shrines too..like the one with the tengu statues on the side of a mountain (Kousokuji??).

Also, if you are around the area, in Kichijouji (about 15-20 mins from Shinjuku station) there is a very pretty shrine on the water in Inokashira Park, though the park itself will be crowded because it is a popular and beautiful spot to spend the afternoon or weekend. Grab lunch in town and go check it out.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)