JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-15-2011, 02:23 PM

I'm headed to Fukushima, Sendai and Matsushima in March, among many other places, and I'm not in the least bit concerned about the radiation levels. Fortunately, I don't have to live there, so the exposure I'll get is manageable. The most radiation I'll get is from my Japan Airlines flight (12.5 hours at 35,000ft) to and from Japan....
(#12 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-15-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I'm headed to Fukushima, Sendai and Matsushima in March, among many other places, and I'm not in the least bit concerned about the radiation levels. Fortunately, I don't have to live there, so the exposure I'll get is manageable. The most radiation I'll get is from my Japan Airlines flight (12.5 hours at 35,000ft) to and from Japan....
Very true and maybe the Cigarrette you might enjoy after and before the Plane ride
(#13 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Very true and maybe the Cigarrette you might enjoy after and before the Plane ride
Quit more than 3 years ago, so that's a non-issue....
(#14 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Quit more than 3 years ago, so that's a non-issue....
Oh I was using it as a nice example for all the people out there.

I did as well 2 years ago. Feel like I new person since then
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2011, 06:11 PM

I just got back from 3 weeks there. I don't glow in the dark .

Most in the west think Sendai is a mess. Ditto to Fukushima-shi. Was thru both Fukushima-shi and Sendia-shi on the shinkansen among other places.

In the main downtowns, you can hardly notice the FEW clay tiled roofs there that are damaged. High rise buildings, power and communications towers, and the like are completly as usual. Only the coatline....and right along the coastline....... in Sendai is completely devastated. Gone!

The TV and other photographers make sure that the footage they show gets the most views....... so they pick the worst situations and the worst angles. It is what they DO. It is their JOB to do that. People don't watch good news.

Daily reports from various sources for raditation levels are easy to find on TV and in newspapers. 99.99999999 percent of Japan is just fine as to radiation. Particularly for short term travelers. 99 percent of the food supply is just fine. Don't swim in the ocean off the power plants. Don't visit the power plants.

If you LIVE in Japan particularly close to the power plants.... or in the coatal areas near Sendai, well that is a different story. It is a total and unmitigated disaster. But as a tourist......... just go enjoy Japan and HELP them by doing YOUR part.

What isn't fine in Japan? The Japanese tourism economy!!!!!!!!

best,

................john
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-15-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
But as a tourist......... just go enjoy Japan and HELP them by doing YOUR part.

What isn't fine in Japan? The Japanese tourism economy!!!!!!!!

best,

................john
That's my plan....to go to the area and spend money on the local economy. That is how I can best help them.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm hoping to visit the Tohoku area in December and volunteer for a week or two.

It'll be cold but thankfully, all this time in the Canadian Rockies has gotten me accustomed to cold temperatures.