JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

Is Hakone for me? - 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM

It is a destination on a tour I am interested in. I can adjust the tour and remove this destination if I want... So I was wondering if I should go here?

I am kinda leaning away because isn't mainly for viewing Mt. Fuji? I live in the Pacific Northwest and I see mountains and forests ALL the time. I am not super intrigued by seeing a mountain, famous or not. But I hear it also has a lot of onsens... which I LOVE, and a beautiful ryokan to stay at. But I am already thinking of going to Kinosaki Onsen on this tour.

Is it still worth it for me? What else is there to do in Hakone?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-25-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowgirl View Post
It is a destination on a tour I am interested in. I can adjust the tour and remove this destination if I want... So I was wondering if I should go here?

I am kinda leaning away because isn't mainly for viewing Mt. Fuji? I live in the Pacific Northwest and I see mountains and forests ALL the time. I am not super intrigued by seeing a mountain, famous or not. But I hear it also has a lot of onsens... which I LOVE, and a beautiful ryokan to stay at. But I am already thinking of going to Kinosaki Onsen on this tour.

Is it still worth it for me? What else is there to do in Hakone?
It seems like it depends if you can afford a day or two extra.... If there are other places you're passing up because of it, it seems redundant to go there....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2011, 02:28 AM

Hakone is mainly known for Mt Fuji and its onsens..since you like onsens it may be worth it. There are a few other things to do, such as hiking in areas with volcanic fissures.

It really depends what else you are doing on your trip, because Hakone is pretty out of the way, thus the whole thing will take up an entire day or more if you decide to stay. If you are seeing some other areas with an abundance of nature on your tour, then I say you can skip it, but if you are only running around concrete jungles then Hakone might be nice.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)