JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
Going to Japan on the 1st. - 08-28-2011, 07:56 PM

So, I'm going to Yokohama and Tokyo with my girlfriend on the 1st of Sep. I'm only staying until the 8th, though.
I'm pretty nervous, I've never used an airport by myself before.
Any advice, and any super crazy awesome hole-in-the-wall spots that I should know about around the area?

猿も木から落ちる
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
So, I'm going to Yokohama and Tokyo with my girlfriend on the 1st of Sep. I'm only staying until the 8th, though.
I'm pretty nervous, I've never used an airport by myself before.
Any advice, and any super crazy awesome hole-in-the-wall spots that I should know about around the area?
I'd think going to a foreign country with writing unlike yours would make you more nervous than using an airport by yourself. Airports are the same the world over for the most part. Immigration there is a breeze. If you have any real concerns, though, don't hesitate to post them. We'll try our best to answer them.

As for awesome spots, I really don't know any....

Have a great time! I'll be following you in 6 months for my 4th trip....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

08-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Thanks brother, do I have to bring anything crazy to get through customs? Like a bank statement for example?
Cause as of now, all I'm bringing to the airport is passport, ID, cash, flight itinerary, and boarding passes. Is that enough to get through customs?
I'm leaving at 5:30 in the morning, heeeeelp!!!! <3

EDIT: and of course my luggage

猿も木から落ちる
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-31-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks brother, do I have to bring anything crazy to get through customs? Like a bank statement for example?
Cause as of now, all I'm bringing to the airport is passport, ID, cash, flight itinerary, and boarding passes. Is that enough to get through customs?
I'm leaving at 5:30 in the morning, heeeeelp!!!! <3

EDIT: and of course my luggage
Customs at Narita, which I suppose is the airport you'll be landing at, requires your passport, immigration forms that the airline will provide you hours before landing and that's about it. They don't care if you have cash or another ID. Your passport will be your ID all the while you're there, so I suggest you carry it with you at all times. The police frown upon gaijin not being able to identify themselves and it will be embarrasing if you get caught. The chances of that are not high at all, but will increase if you're one to make of fool of yourself in public and attract law-enforcement attention.

It's best to exchange your doru for yen at the arriving airport, seeing as it's the best rate I've seen the times I've been there.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 08-31-2011 at 04:07 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-31-2011, 04:23 PM

If you have a return ticket, then you have nothing to worry about.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

08-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks so much John and MMM Btw, it's nice to be back on the forum and to hear from you again. I miss the site.
Anyways, thanks so much for the help. I guess I'm overanalyzing every little thing.
I have a round-trip, fresh passport, cash to convert at the airport. Guess I'm all set then.
My nightmare is just being sent home cause I don't have the smallest little document.

猿も木から落ちる
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-31-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much John and MMM Btw, it's nice to be back on the forum and to hear from you again. I miss the site.
Anyways, thanks so much for the help. I guess I'm overanalyzing every little thing.
I have a round-trip, fresh passport, cash to convert at the airport. Guess I'm all set then.
My nightmare is just being sent home cause I don't have the smallest little document.
Not going to happen because you'd pretty much need whatever to get on the plane! have a great time!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Haha, seems to me you are underanalyzing the little things. You sound a lot like me few years ago. Passport, tickets, money, luggage, check. Good to go.

Now I am going back this year and I am scheduling every last detail to the T. Sure, I like be spontaneous, but I don't have much time this trip, so I have to MAXIMIZE.

At any rate, have a great time!